Ich? need advice.

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I believe I may have Ich in my tank. I am only seeing it on my six line wrasse and royal gramma. They have white spots, that appear to be isolated to their fins at the moment.
I have looked through a ton of posts, but everyone has so many differing opinions on treatment.
I came across this product through a google search, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+4616+16809&pcatid=16809
has anyone tried this with any luck?
I dont have a QT available at the moment and am in the busy season for work and wont be able to get on, and set it up for awhile. so im looking for a way to at least slow it down until I can, which will be a few weeks at least.
I have snails and hermits in the tank as well as zoas, feather dusters,and a anemone.
I also find it almost impossible to catch fish from the tank. I did buy a fish trap that I could try to get them out, but with being gone 12+ hours a day, feel it would be a bad idea to try to trap them at this time.
Would adding a cleaner shrimp help? I dont know if sixline's eat ich off other fish or not, but I feel like he does as he and the gramma are the only ones with it and the gramma is small and doesnt care for the wrasse to be around him.

Thanks so much!!!!

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading on here more, looks like the uv isnt going to do much if anything.
Main question is what can I do to help them out until I can get a second tank running and move all fish to it for 76 days and treat while my dt is fallow?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading on here more, looks like the uv isnt going to do much if anything.
Main question is what can I do to help them out until I can get a second tank running and move all fish to it for 76 days and treat while my dt is fallow?

You could do a 5 minute fresh water dip to buy you some time. Or TTM. A couple of buckets or plastic totes would work too.

Travis Rider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through an ich battle. I was successful in getting it under control by using a UV light combined with this medication: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+12100&pcatid=12100

The medication doesn't kill off the ich it just helps with issues caused by the ich. I also soaked my food in galic to help boost the imune system. There is no true way to rid your tank of ich unless you allow the tank to sit fallow.

Good luck.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best best would be to add vitamins such as Selcon or Vitachem to their food. This will boost their immune system and help them keep the ick at bay some. Low stress and great water quality are going to be important too. Here's an article about how to manage ick in your tank. I hope it helps. :)
Ich eradication vs. Ich management

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my plan for now, anyone chime in with advice. Im going to get some sel con to add to food, will feed brine more often. hoping this will boost immune system. I plan to get over to petco and grab a 40 gallon tank to set up a qt. this will be in a different room from dt. I have a spare skimmer i can use, should i get a hang on filter also? When I get a weekend off, will try to catch all fish and move to qt and treat with copper safe. Can I use no rodi water for a qt? and also can i add new coral to dt as long as it is at the beginning and start the fallow cycle at that time.

I want to put in an order today of tomorrow if i can. if there is anything you would use, foods, meds, etc. please comment. I do have garic xtreme on hand put thats about it for additives and meds.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best best would be to add vitamins such as Selcon or Vitachem to their food. This will boost their immune system and help them keep the ick at bay some. Low stress and great water quality are going to be important too. Here's an article about how to manage ick in your tank. I hope it helps. :)
Ich eradication vs. Ich management
Thanks, I will be some vitamins to add. haha ive read that article a bunch, I wish i would have had a qt set up before. I thought I would be ok, getting all my fish from 1 place and felt that they had very high quality. I have water going right now, to do a water change tonight, hope that helps.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare skimmer i can use, should i get a hang on filter also?

You don't need the skimmer, in fact I'd leave it off. Get a good HOB filter and a solid sponge (no carbon) in the chamber.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hob filter but don't use a protein skimmer. I would add any coral now, because once you go fallow you don't want to add anything after. I also use tap but use something to take out the chlorine. Make sure 2 have a test kit for whatever copper product you're using.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any advise on which copper med to use in qt. looking at copper safe or copper aid and the API test kit.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, once i have my qt set up and go fallow, what would i need to do to rid it of copper? My hopes are to use it to qt future corals, as I am done adding fish and working on building up my reef. Thanks

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a tank has copper, best bet is to only use it for a fish qt.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, once i have my qt set up and go fallow, what would i need to do to rid it of copper? My hopes are to use it to qt future corals, as I am done adding fish and working on building up my reef. Thanks

First, don't use tap water because you'll need to use a conditioner to treat for chlorine. These conditioners are the same as ammonia reducers in that they will turn the copper toxic for your fish. I recommend RODI or distilled water. It's possible to use the tank for corals afterward, but it's a risk. You'll use cupusorb and water changes to remove the copper from the water. Though I'd suggest emptying the whole tank out and a thorough cleaning + drying before using it again with inverts.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any advise on which copper med to use in qt. looking at copper safe or copper aid and the API test kit.

I like Coppersafe and the API test kit.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1476797025.028915.jpg

I tried to get a picture, the wrasse was way to camera shy. This morning the gramma has a few more specs. The picture isn't the best, but they look like grains of salt.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Coppersafe and the API test kit.
in your opinion what would be the better treatment for my scenario? Would it be better to use TTM? or copper?, which is more effective, easier on the fish? Also would I need to use tanks or could I get by with rubbermaid tubs for TTM and then move them to a 40 gallon tank while dt is fallow? Also I dont have quick access to the amount of rodi water I would need. What would be the best declorinator to use? I assume it wouldnt be as critical in TTM as with copper treatment. and when it says dont go over 72 hours, is there a minimum time that has to pass before moving?
Thanks!! I know I have a million questions, just super stressed, i ve never had ick in a reef tank, or saltwater for that matter.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back