Ich? need advice.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in your opinion what would be the better treatment for my scenario? Would it be better to use TTM? or copper?, which is more effective, easier on the fish? Also would I need to use tanks or could I get by with rubbermaid tubs for TTM and then move them to a 40 gallon tank while dt is fallow? Also I dont have quick access to the amount of rodi water I would need. What would be the best declorinator to use? I assume it wouldnt be as critical in TTM as with copper treatment. and when it says dont go over 72 hours, is there a minimum time that has to pass before moving?
Thanks!! I know I have a million questions, just super stressed, i ve never had ick in a reef tank, or saltwater for that matter.

It's ok. Questions are good. In your case I would say use TTM, that way you don't have to stress about using dechlorinators. TTM is very effective against ick and when coupled with prazi to deworm can be a great way to QT. Yes you can use the totes for this, then observe in the other tank. You can transfer every couple of hours if your able to sterilize your equipment fast enough (not likely without using more than two containers) but you don't want to wait longer than the 72 hours between each transfer, otherwise you'll need to start over.
Check this link for details and keep on asking questions :)
Tank Transfer Method

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Ill be ok keeping it at 72 hours, will just have to do it late at night to make sure im home from work for sure. Just placed an order, so i have vita chem, prime, prazi pro, a couple ammonia badges, another heater, and a few other goodies on the way. now to just get set up and try to catch the fish! hopefully sunday I can get a 40 gallon for qt and should be ready, i hope!

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1478573685.967908.jpg

So tried the ick management, not working. I've been feeding brine and mysis shrimp with vita Chem everyday. Did a water change a week ago. Tang had 2 specs a week or so ago, now looks like this. Royal gramma died a week to 10 days ago, he was weird from the start, would swim upside down.
So I just filled up the 40. Question is with how the tang looks is ttm still the best option or is copper faster? Also just wondering as going into a super busy time at work and could end up at work till midnight sometimes. If I do go with copper I used tap water, I have prime and instant ocean water conditioner, which one would be best or neither? The tang is my wife's favorite fish, I don't want him to die. Thanks for the help!!!

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered copper and test kit and also some fluval water aqua plus conditioner. hope everything works out ok.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fluval water aqua plus conditioner.

Don't use this in conjunction with the copper. Conditioners/ammonia reducers can turn copper toxic and kills your fish faster than the disease you're trying to treat.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so should i not use a dechlorinator? may have to go back to ttm method, if they make it long enough to where i have a better schedule to pull it off.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so should i not use a dechlorinator? may have to go back to ttm method, if they make it long enough to where i have a better schedule to pull it off.

It's not advisable. Most dechlorinators are also ammonia reducers, which will make copper toxic. There are some rumblings about being able to use the reducers with chelated copper like Coppersafe, but I've never tried it and wouldn't think it's worth the risk. Can you use RODI or distilled water for this?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not advisable. Most dechlorinators are also ammonia reducers, which will make copper toxic. There are some rumblings about being able to use the reducers with chelated copper like Coppersafe, but I've never tried it and wouldn't think it's worth the risk. Can you use RODI or distilled water for this?
hmm. i did order coppersafe, but thinking i should cancel my order and just get more salt for ttm. i already have a 40 breeder mixing with new water i could use.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think its ich? was hard to get a good picture, he is camera shy. im pretty confident it is as it has come and gone a couple times and is now way worse.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would do Copper for him if you're able. If it's ick, it's a very bad case of it. TTM is worth a try though if that's something you can manage. You'll know pretty quick if he needs Copper for velvet since he wont be getting better at all with TTM. Of course, the bad part here is that waiting that long to switch to copper can reduce the chance of saving him. If he's had this for a while and hasn't died already, then I would lean more toward ick though. Your call in the end.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would do Copper for him if you're able. If it's ick, it's a very bad case of it. TTM is worth a try though if that's something you can manage. You'll know pretty quick if he needs Copper for velvet since he wont be getting better at all with TTM. Of course, the bad part here is that waiting that long to switch to copper can reduce the chance of saving him. If he's had this for a while and hasn't died already, then I would lean more toward ick though. Your call in the end.
he just broke out with it yesterday. had 2 spots the week before that went away. im totally lost as to what to do, i think ill just have to roll the dice and try what i can

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he just broke out with it yesterday. had 2 spots the week before that went away. im totally lost as to what to do, i think ill just have to roll the dice and try what i can

Sometimes it's difficult to diagnose between velvet or ick since all the fish are different and sometimes the symptoms are so close. I've even seen cases where the fish had BOTH! In cases like that I always say to run them through copper since it treats both anyway. My advice is to do exactly that, but not if you can't do it without using tap water. TTM would be a good second in this case and the fish will have to be monitored closely. If you did the transfers every 2 days instead of 3 it might cover you. (not proven btw)

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went ahead and bought drs foster and smiths chlorine remover and gonna give it a try. hope it gets here fast. not looking forward to catching the fish. I finally had my rocks the way i wanted them.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1479173899.753767.jpg
got done with work yesterday around noon, was able to catch all the fish and move them to qt, they don't seem too traumatized from the ordeal and are all eating. The picture is what I used to declorinate the water, hopefully it's ok. Going to start copper tomorrow. I have coppersafe and it says 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons. Thinking of adding 1 tsp a day until at therapeutic levels. After 30 days run carbon until copper is gone, then prazipro as insurance since I already have it. Dt is fallow, will add fish back around day 80, just before heading to Mexico. Does this seem like a good plan of attack? The ich spots fell off all fish the day before and day of being removed from dt. Thanks!
Edit: should I run an airstone while using copper or is a hob filter enough? I'm running the tank water level low enough it falls into the tank and is adding oxygen

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1479173899.753767.jpg
got done with work yesterday around noon, was able to catch all the fish and move them to qt, they don't seem too traumatized from the ordeal and are all eating. The picture is what I used to declorinate the water, hopefully it's ok. Going to start copper tomorrow. I have coppersafe and it says 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons. Thinking of adding 1 tsp a day until at therapeutic levels. After 30 days run carbon until copper is gone, then prazipro as insurance since I already have it. Dt is fallow, will add fish back around day 80, just before heading to Mexico. Does this seem like a good plan of attack? The ich spots fell off all fish the day before and day of being removed from dt. Thanks!
Edit: should I run an airstone while using copper or is a hob filter enough? I'm running the tank water level low enough it falls into the tank and is adding oxygen

It seems like coppersafe has less of a risk with dechlorinators than cupramine does, but I would still be careful with using it. The plan sounds solid. Keep us posted!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes keep us posted and I agree with melyphr I wouldn't mix anything with copper

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help!!! will update as things progress.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose #1 last night. I think I got lucky with timing the switch to qt. All fish look great this morning, zero white spots, even the tang. hopefully they all fell off in the dt and starting copper will keep the severity down.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone is still watching this post, but have gone through 30 days of copper. Sixline wrasse jumped day 1 even before copper. Lost a clownfish about 3 weeks into copper treatment, he was the runt of the 4.
Question I have now is how do I get the copper out? Have been running a carbon pad and reef carbon in a bag on hob filter. Have done 3, 4 gallon water changes on a 40 breeder and the copper hasn't seemed to drop yet. What am I doing wrong?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back