Ich? need advice.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone is still watching this post, but have gone through 30 days of copper. Sixline wrasse jumped day 1 even before copper. Lost a clownfish about 3 weeks into copper treatment, he was the runt of the 4.
Question I have now is how do I get the copper out? Have been running a carbon pad and reef carbon in a bag on hob filter. Have done 3, 4 gallon water changes on a 40 breeder and the copper hasn't seemed to drop yet. What am I doing wrong?

you're not doing anything wrong. That's exactly how you do it. Cupusorb is supposed to do well at getting the copper out, as well as a polyfilter. You may try one or both of those to help.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll pick some up this weekend while in the city. Will be faster then waiting for shipping... ohh the downfalls of living in a town of 6k and an hour from anything

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll pick some up this weekend while in the city. Will be faster then waiting for shipping... ohh the downfalls of living in a town of 6k and an hour from anything

yeah, I know that feeling! I used to live in a very small town in the center of Louisiana :)

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should it take to get the copper out of the tank? 40 gal breeder, running a Fluval C3 with floss and cuprisorb 250ml, says for up to 60 gal. I was running a skimmer, but stopped due to all the foam. I havent tested copper for a few days but it wasnt moving with carbon, which I now have the return from the c3 flowing onto. Im getting anxious as I am 3 weeks away from my dt being fallow for 76 days and still want to use praxi in the qt.
Thanks!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should it take to get the copper out of the tank? 40 gal breeder, running a Fluval C3 with floss and cuprisorb 250ml, says for up to 60 gal. I was running a skimmer, but stopped due to all the foam. I havent tested copper for a few days but it wasnt moving with carbon, which I now have the return from the c3 flowing onto. Im getting anxious as I am 3 weeks away from my dt being fallow for 76 days and still want to use praxi in the qt.
Thanks!!

Should only take a few days to remove using Cuprisorb. This will remove it even quicker: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so today is day 72 for the dt being fallow, I was hoping to go 76-78. But I'm having a major algae breakout in the qt. The water is so green I can't even see the fish. I have done 2 25% water changes, but it isn't helping. I'm not sure if they are even eating as I can't believe they could see all that well.
Do you guys think it would be better to move them today or let it ride a few more days?
IMG_2809.JPG

Here's the tank, crazy, didn't change a thing and went from clear to this overnight about a week ago. Thanks!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so today is day 72 for the dt being fallow, I was hoping to go 76-78. But I'm having a major algae breakout in the qt. The water is so green I can't even see the fish. I have done 2 25% water changes, but it isn't helping. I'm not sure if they are even eating as I can't believe they could see all that well.
Do you guys think it would be better to move them today or let it ride a few more days?
IMG_2809.JPG

Here's the tank, crazy, didn't change a thing and went from clear to this overnight about a week ago. Thanks!

Are they ok in there? In another 4/5 more days, do you think it might be a good idea to put them in some display tank water but in a separate clear container just to make sure they're ready to go into the display? Kinda like a quick inspection on moving day. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the water change I just did and cleaning the skimmer out helps, also put in new filter media. It's a little better. I did see most of the fish once I got the water level down.
Humblefish I feel the same way, just have never seen anything like this before and didn't know if it is harmful to the fish.
Empress, that would be the plan either Saturday or today whenever I would put them back. I'll keep an eye on it today, have the day off. And decide later tonight.
Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this tank, I think I need to give it a few days anyways, hopefully I'll be able to see the fish better by then, not very good at catching the little guys anyhow

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this tank, I think I need to give it a few days anyways, hopefully I'll be able to see the fish better by then, not very good at catching the little guys anyhow

Who knows....maybe they LIKE lime-green water! When you do catch them, they'll probably look like little green martians. LOL. Good luck. [emoji256][emoji106]

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Double J. How ya doing?
Ended up having a snowday, and decided I couldn't risk it anymore, so at 74 days I moved the fish back to the DT. QT tank was pretty bad, had to drain it down to 3 inches of water just to be able to see them. They are very happy to be back in the tank, and clean water. hoping the 2 days early doesn't come back to haunt me. Just couldn't take the fact I couldn't see them and I really don't thank they were eating. Would have hated to make it this far and go to make the move to find dead fish.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think two days will make much difference. Nobody really knows anyway how many days for sure. Important thing is your fish are happy. Are they eating?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think two days will make much difference. Nobody really knows anyway how many days for sure. Important thing is your fish are happy. Are they eating?
That's what I'm hoping, and yes they ate like pigs, I really don't think they could see to eat. once in awhile I could see a fish or two close to the top, and they weren't really swimming much, so figured it was best to make the swap to the DT a little early.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That water was crazy. Nobody knows why either... But happy to know your piggies are doing ok. Keep a close eye on them. If nothing pops up within 4 weeks, I'd say you made it! Happy reefin' and stay wet. [emoji886]

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That water was crazy. Nobody knows why either... But happy to know your piggies are doing ok. Keep a close eye on them. If nothing pops up within 4 weeks, I'd say you made it! Happy reefin' and stay wet. [emoji886]
Yes, that water was insane, so weird!

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not sure, but the Tang already has 3 or 4 white spots on him that resemble ich. Is this really happening? Is it possible that in 3 days he could already have spots if somehow there was some ich in the tank?
Hoping its something else, but doesnt look good.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not sure, but the Tang already has 3 or 4 white spots on him that resemble ich. Is this really happening? Is it possible that in 3 days he could already have spots if somehow there was some ich in the tank?
Hoping its something else, but doesnt look good.

Can you post a picture?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back