ICH sadly

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question.

Do you recommend Kordon Ich Attack to treat ich in my QT? I have two fish with what I believe to be ich.

Thanks

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are in a QT right?
I would recommend copper or IMO the safest the TTM.

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are in a QT right?
I would recommend copper or IMO the safest the TTM.
Yes they are, and I just don't know if the copper is working or not. My hippo tang still isn't eating, and it doesn't look like he is getting any better. I have had him in there for 3 days yesterday he was swimming, and today he is back down to laying on his side. My dogface puffer doesn't even really move other then every once in a while. I just don't want to lose the fish.

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do the tank transfer method but I am away all day, also I don't understand if you need to have equipment for each tank seperate then why is it you need to catch the fish and dump them into the new tank. Wouldn't the water from the old tank be transferred over even if you were using a net. Plus I don't really have the funds to buy a new 10 gallon tank, and buy all new equipment I wish I did.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do the tank transfer method but I am away all day, also I don't understand if you need to have equipment for each tank seperate then why is it you need to catch the fish and dump them into the new tank. Wouldn't the water from the old tank be transferred over even if you were using a net. Plus I don't really have the funds to buy a new 10 gallon tank, and buy all new equipment I wish I did.

Yes it will but if you do it more than a few times the risk that you move the ick over will be less everyday.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will but if you do it more than a few times the risk that you move the ick over will be less everyday.

@reefsquad
Ah alright that makes sense. I have something called Ich attack by kordon does anyone have experience with that? My friend used it and it worked for his tank.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with that.
I always do the TTM.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diesel Can 5 gallon buckets be used for tank transfer as a cheaper alternative to a tank?

And is there a quick way to sanitize the equipment between uses so you don't have to have two sets of everything? I know, I know...in this hobby fast does not equal best lol Just trying to think if there is an inexpensive way to make the TTM work.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah alright that makes sense. I have something called Ich attack by kordon does anyone have experience with that? My friend used it and it worked for his tank.

That's mainly and ick management tool. It will help your fish live with ich instead of eradicating it. If you can't buy a new 10 gallon, maybe you could get some 5 gallon buckets. All you need is a heater, air stones, tubing and air pump.... oh and a couple pvc elbows to hide in. That's it really. The ammonia alert badge is awesome too and very budget friendly.

Of course you can always run copper instead.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a quick way to sanitize the equipment between uses so you don't have to have two sets of everything?

No. It's very important that after the bleach or vinegar rinse that all equipment is left to dry for the full 3 days that the fish are in the other container. If you need to cut it shorter than three days you can use a fan, but it won't be just minutes. No matter what you gotta have somehwere for the fish to be while the tank and equipment are drying... why not another bucket?

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's mainly and ick management tool. It will help your fish live with ich instead of eradicating it. If you can't buy a new 10 gallon, maybe you could get some 5 gallon buckets. All you need is a heater, air stones, tubing and air pump.... oh and a couple pvc elbows to hide in. That's it really. The ammonia alert badge is awesome too and very budget friendly.

Of course you can always run copper instead.
Thanks for the info. I am going to try and stick to the copper, and see what happens right now is just not a good time to do the tank transfer method as I am moving home from school. It's gonna be a couple days before I am fully settled in. I will test the copper again and then add, or do a water change depending on what it looks like. Does anyone have a reference table as to what the copper should look like since all I have is the API copper test kit one.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It's very important that after the bleach or vinegar rinse that all equipment is left to dry for the full 3 days that the fish are in the other container. If you need to cut it shorter than three days you can use a fan, but it won't be just minutes. No matter what you gotta have somehwere for the fish to be while the tank and equipment are drying... why not another bucket?

Thanks for clairfiying that :) That is what I was thinking. The equipment can have so many nooks and crannies I can see how it would be an issue to get everything dry.

Zacky Yonk said he did not have funds for an extra set of equipment for the TTM, just trying to figure out if there was a way to make it work (for him or anyone else in the same predicament).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a reference table as to what the copper should look like since all I have is the API copper test kit one.

Your test kit should come with a card that shows you what color equals which copper level. What brand of copper are you using?

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your test kit should come with a card that shows you what color equals which copper level. What brand of copper are you using?
It did, and I am using copper aid by kordon. If there is a product out there that is better please let me know I'll do anything to keep these fish a live haha my little siblings love them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did, and I am using copper aid by kordon. If there is a product out there that is better please let me know I'll do anything to keep these fish a live haha my little siblings love them.

I've never used it, but it's a chelated copper. The API kit is the correct kit for that type and the therapeutic dose is 2ppm. Keep it there for 30 days straight. Be sure to dose any water change water before it's added to the tank. Other than that, you can test daily to be sure the copper levels stay at 2ppm the entire time... or test daily at first then move to weekly if you feel comfortable with that. Be sure you are looking down through the top of the vial when comparing the the chart for API and not through the side.

OP
OP
Z

Zachy Yonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it, but it's a chelated copper. The API kit is the correct kit for that type and the therapeutic dose is 2ppm. Keep it there for 30 days straight. Be sure to dose any water change water before it's added to the tank. Other than that, you can test daily to be sure the copper levels stay at 2ppm the entire time... or test daily at first then move to weekly if you feel comfortable with that. Be sure you are looking down through the top of the vial when comparing the the chart for API and not through the side.
Alright thanks for the info guys I'll keep dosing copper.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diesel Can 5 gallon buckets be used for tank transfer as a cheaper alternative to a tank?

And is there a quick way to sanitize the equipment between uses so you don't have to have two sets of everything? I know, I know...in this hobby fast does not equal best lol Just trying to think if there is an inexpensive way to make the TTM work.

I believe our friend Meredith did answer all questions for you guys, isn't she amazing ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back