Ich won't kill fish?!

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got ich in my reef tank for a month or longer and my two fish died two weeks ago and I still have a yellow tail scissor damsel that doesn't have any white spot but I see him sometimes flash to the rocks. He is eating like a pig. My question is, is he gonna be ok and fight off the ich and can I put other fishes in the tank after a month?

kgeig001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just that his immune system is strong and was able to keep it at bay. He may still develop it but it's definitely still in the tank. You need to starve it out. Rayn's right, qt the damsel and go fallow in DT for 76 days.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got ich in my reef tank for a month or longer and my two fish died two weeks ago and I still have a yellow tail scissor damsel that doesn't have any white spot but I see him sometimes flash to the rocks. He is eating like a pig. My question is, is he gonna be ok and fight off the ich and can I put other fishes in the tank after a month?
Ich doesnt alway kill fish but it sure does make life hell, I recommend you get your remaining fish out of the tank and in hypo salinity. Ich really starts to take its toll on weaken immune systems and im sure in time all your fish will die from it. Ich is one of the easiest things to prevent with patience and a quarantine system.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above. The one thing I would suggest is not using Hypo to treat for ich since there are several hypo resistant strains out there and also Hypo is hard to maintain correctly. CP, Copper and TTM are much better for treating ich with TTM (tank transfer method) being my personal favorite. As long as you have a fish in you DT the ich will remain. Your damsel is related to the clownfish and has a think slime coat that helps the damsel cope.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above. The one thing I would suggest is not using Hypo to treat for ich since there are several hypo resistant strains out there and also Hypo is hard to maintain correctly. CP, Copper and TTM are much better for treating ich with TTM (tank transfer method) being my personal favorite. As long as you have a fish in you DT the ich will remain. Your damsel is related to the clownfish and has a think slime coat that helps the damsel cope.
With his issue, he can't use TTM because he doesn't has saltwater to do it and he can't use saltwater in display tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With his issue, he can't use TTM because he doesn't has saltwater to do it and he can't use saltwater in display tank.

He can't use saltwater in a saltwater tank? I think I'm confused now. :confused:

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can't use saltwater in a saltwater tank? I think I'm confused now. :confused:
Because saltwater in display tank had ICH parasite. He can use it for cooper treatment or hypo treatment but can not use for TTM treatment.
TTM treatment is just transfer from tank to tank with regular saltwater.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because saltwater in display tank had ICH parasite

Ohhhh. I wasn't getting what you meant. So your saying he can't make saltwater or buy saltwater already made to set up a quarantine tank? Then the only option is to try hypo in the display or just live with it and only buy fish that have a thick slime coat and are naturally resistant to ick. While they are resistant, they still carry it in their gills and in some bad cases it will over take them.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can not put fishes in new mix saltwater or buy new saltwater in lfs....they will die. We need to use saltwater with bacteria in DT first then mix up with fresh saltwater later on.
After he finish whatever treatment beside TTM with fishes and with the tank then the next fish he buy, he can using TTM to treat the new fishes. At this time, he can using saltwater from DT for this metal.

Last edited:

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive descovered, for someone like me having a hard time being able to do a qt tank was... i got lucky with my 4 fish and decided not to buy more lol.

TTM requires patience and the will to put the work it....it is probally best method i have seen but not for anyone without patience imo

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can not put fishes in new mix saltwater or buy new saltwater in lfs....they will die. We need to use saltwater with bacteria in DT first then mix up with fresh saltwater later on.

That's not true. You can use fresh mixed saltwater to set up a QT and dose a bacteria in a bottle product for the filter to get that started. Then you have an ammonia alert badge to keep track of the ammonia build up which will let you know when to do water changes. Please read this link.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true. You can use fresh mixed saltwater to set up a QT and dose a bacteria in a bottle product for the filter to get that started. Then you have an ammonia alert badge to keep track of the ammonia build up which will let you know when to do water changes. Please read this link.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
you are right, I forgot about those product to setup with new fresh saltwater but that is risk also. I have been there with that kind of that product and I don't trust much. You can change new saltwater and some prime to reduce ammonia but those kind of prime can't reduce Nitrite. Fishes will die from here.
If you said fishes ready to put in the tank with fresh mix saltwater with that product then we don't need cycle the water anymore.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are right, I forgot about those product to setup with new fresh saltwater but that is risk also. I have been there with that kind of that product and I don't trust much. You can change new saltwater and some prime to reduce ammonia but those kind of prime can't reduce Nitrite. Fishes will die from here.

You can't use prime with copper - which will have to happen if the other options arn't used. You'll just have to trust me when I say that water changes will be enough until the tank cycles. That's what the ammonia alert badge is for. It tells you when ammonia is present and you change the water before it turns into nitrite. Read the links I posted... they will help clarify a lot of this for you.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the water that is cycled. The water column from an established tank carries very little of the beneficial bacteria. It's the mediums of filtration (sponge/floss/charcoal), substrate, rock that provide the needed beneficial bacteria in an adequate amount.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll just have to trust me when I say that water changes will be enough until the tank cycles. That's what the ammonia alert badge is for. It tells you when ammonia is present and you change the water before it turns into nitrite. Read the links I posted... they will help clarify a lot of this for you.
The cycle done has to pass from ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. Are you agree me about that?
Let me tell you this, doesn't matter how much water change, nitrite still staying HIGH over night and fishes can not handle that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back