Ideas for a light mount

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas to hang a LED light over a 15g frag tank - rectangle black box with a clip as the main hanging connector onto my DIY stand which is 2x2".
Was thinking a pipe bent like an L painted black with an I bolt to attach the clip.
The mount needs to be at least 28 inches above the tank because of the length of the hanging kit, so 40 inches total height over the stand because the tank is 12" high.

I could use a plant hanger but behind the tank is a wooden door which is unused and don't want to chance the light falling, that door is pretty old...

Main thing is to make it look neat.
Any ideas thrown my way will be appreciated.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aluminum electrical conduit. Two full length (I think 48") pieces mounted to the back of the stand it self, four 90 degree elbows (two on either side), and another almost full length piece across the middle (48" tank minus the length of the elbows turned inward).

You could, and I think I should have, Mount I bolts through it to connect the carabiner to instead of clipping them straight to the conduit.

20160213_202311.jpg

20160312_075213.jpg

ronl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here are a couple of pics from thedoogan's build thread, which was the inspiration for my light hanger.
IMG_1481158514.186031.jpg
IMG_1481158529.041635.jpg

ronl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a sweet setup.. very clean.

Yeah, his build thread was great. Unfortunately he stopped posting to it a couple years ago. The thread still gets an occasional post asking for updates.

ronl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my aluminum bar from onlinemetals.com. Doogan just bolted his to the back of his stand. He drilled multiple holes in the aluminum bar so he could adjust the height if needed.

For some strange reason, I didn't want to drill holes in my stand, so I made a wood bracket that attaches to the back of the stand and mounted the aluminum bar to the bracket. I also drilled multiple holes in the aluminum bar in case I want to adjust the height on the light.

ronl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify for others, I had to bend the aluminum bar. It came from the retailer as a straight piece.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back