If you own a saltwater mixing station, please share your pictures & ideas?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I will be trying to replicate in my garage. My containers will be a little smaller but not much! Most likely will have my containers on a stand next to each other. Alos, include how you hard plumbed your system as well.

Tank Info:
120 Mixed Reef
Apex Classic Controller
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbelle Nanostream 6055's
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

51afdbaaf63651452b7c1a0ddbf28876.jpg

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice setup. The only thing I don't like about those containers is that it is difficult to scrub the inside to keep them clean. Salt mixes can leave a residue and I like to give my drums a good scrubbing once a year. This video provides details on my system but there is certainly more then one way to skin this cat and I am really diggin' the setup you posted!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, almost everything has come in and has been assembled except for my two 1'' Spears Gate Vales which will be on each side between the 1'' pipe and the spigot x street 90's. That's where my gate valves will be installed so at any giving point I will be able to grab some fresh RODI water or saltwater from each Brute container. Also, instead of having the Cepex ball Valve where I am going to be connecting my Marine & RV 1/2'' 25ft hose, I will be using a 1/2'' Spears Gate valve with the Cam Lever Quick to Connect my 1/2'' in size hose. Order 1 more spigot to street 45 to put inside my Brute salt container to there is one on each side. Next, I have to Glue everything together. I am going to be using a product called WELD -ON! 1ST I will use there Weld On - Plumbing Primer - then finish up with the Weld -On Heavy Duty PVC Cement Gray to match up with my fittings. Then my last step will be building my stand. I bought 6 cinder blocks and 5 two by 4's for my frame. After I get the frame completed I will just be screwing down a pcs of 1'' thick pcs of plywood and then this operation Saltwater mixing station will be completed. Here a few pixs to show you how it turned out before I start gluing everything together. My total cost ending up being around $1250.00 for my Mixing station! Please feel free to let me know your thoughts?
Many thanks,
FLSharkvictim

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.38.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.02 PM.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's coming along very nicely! Wish I had the space for that kind of setup.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set up, I want to make one in my garage and have it feed upstairs to my sump and ato container...
Have you considered not putting the ATO container upstairs? It is easier to run a wire for a float valve down to the garage than to run plumbing up to it.

Gustavo Martinez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But if I want to feed fresh RODI and Saltwater to my main display tank/ Sump and ATO. I'd rather pump it up from the garage....

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get too elaborate with pumps. I just built a stand and put a 40 gallon HDPE tank above my sump. I can fill it with R/O, mix the salt, and once I have the dirty saltwater siphoned out, I just turn a ball valve and fill the sump back up. Much easier than the old garbage can method of water changes....
IMG_3299.JPG

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I will be trying to replicate in my garage. My containers will be a little smaller but not much! Most likely will have my containers on a stand next to each other. Alos, include how you hard plumbed your system as well.

Tank Info:
120 Mixed Reef
Apex Classic Controller
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbelle Nanostream 6055's
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

51afdbaaf63651452b7c1a0ddbf28876.jpg
Good lord dude why would you want to replace that, that station makes me jealous.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup FLSharkvictim... I'm making one just like this too... Can't wait.... How many gallons are those Brutes?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32 gallons mate, perfect size for my 120 display since I only am doing 10 gallons a week! I will have 30 gallons of Fresh RODI water at all times in barrel 1.
If I want 10 gallons of salt, I will just close a few ball valves and turn on my pump to transfer the RO water to the 2nd barrel and then dump in my salt - let it mix for a few hours and I will be good to go.
After that, I will hook m y hose to the custom made PVC holder that will go over my tank so I don't have to be there to fill up. See pic # 1.

Currently, my setup is where I have to hook up my Marine/ RV hose to fill my tank up with but I am working on something where it will run through 1/2 pipe around the back of my house and in through where my RODI water comes in for my ATO container. I am going to install another bulkhead and let the Mag drive push the water into my sump or tank so it will be full automated. So when it's all said and done, I will just be switching over the fresh RO water to the salt side which is barrel # 2 and let it mix and then let the pump transfer it to my tank. The good thing about just doing 10-gallons at a time is I don't really have to worry about the water temp since it's such a small change. I will make sure my salinity is on the money with a PINPOINT salinity monitor that I will be buying from BRS with my new RODI system. Here are a few pics to show you how I am going to mix my salt and transfer it to my tank. The last few pictures are what my system is looking like..

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

17352572_10212856184308100_7351316749647830612_n.jpg

Last edited:

Homebrwr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice setup. The only thing I don't like about those containers is that it is difficult to scrub the inside to keep them clean. Salt mixes can leave a residue and I like to give my drums a good scrubbing once a year. This video provides details on my system but there is certainly more then one way to skin this cat and I am really diggin' the setup you posted!

Where do you find those types of containers?
Nice set-up

Ravan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow some of these are great. I need to set mine up again soon which is just two 55 gal food grade barrels. I had it just set up where I manually moved the water from barrel to barrel and into a bucket to move.
My plan is to now set them up in the garage with the RO/DI barrel setup higher to drain into the saltwater mixing/holding tank which will be setup with a pump to a hose for transfer to the tank as needed. I may try to pump the RO/DI into the hose also. Based off the 120 gal turtle tank I have set up in the house which is in a hotter area of the house and the water evaporation is about 5 gals every three - four days it will not be hard to top off the tank as needed. I will post as I set it up. Thank you for the great ideas I hope to be able to use them

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back