I'm I doing too many water changes???

CarCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I am as a rookie making rookie mistakes. Had all fish in DT only to find out some have ich or something. I was only able to catch my 2 picasso clowns and started them coppersafe in a 10 gallon tank with HOB filter with floss no carbon, sponge air filter, bare bottom 2 weeks ago. I do a 4 gallon water change a day adding 5ml of coppersafe to keep dose at recomended level. Is daily water change required or is it overkill. These fish are fine never had signs of illness and I'm ready to move them into a temporary established 20 gallon tank that they originally came from. After that all remaining fish will be trapped and treated in the 10 gallon tank. BTW I have been treating my fish in DT with Metroflex and focus. I don't want to stress them by netting them so I have ordered a trap to remove them. ( Lubbot wrasse and yellow head goby) Meds have kept them eating and going so I'm pray that once moved in to hospital I can treat them with coppersafe get rid of whatever it is they have (spots that come and go). Then leaving DT fish less for 80 days. So again my question is should I do daily water changes like I am or is it overkill?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary reason to do water changes in QT is to keep ammonia at bay. Since Coppersafe renders most liquid ammonia test kits useless, I recommend getting a Seachem ammonia alert badge (below) for active monitoring.

You can also use a filter on your QT with bio-media capable of housing nitrifying bacteria. This will help break down ammonia. An Aquaclear or Bio-wheel HOB are two examples.

198605.jpg

OP
OP
CarCrazy

CarCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary reason to do water changes in QT is to keep ammonia at bay. Since Coppersafe renders most liquid ammonia test kits useless, I recommend getting a Seachem ammonia alert badge (below) for active monitoring.

You can also use a filter on your QT with bio-media capable of housing nitrifying bacteria. This will help break down ammonia. An Aquaclear or Bio-wheel HOB are two examples.

198605.jpg
I have that, but I was not trusting it since I test and ammonia always came up at .25 on test kit I later found out that my test kit is not capable of accurate reading ammonia if coppersafe was in water. I would like to know how long others wait to do WC in hospitals.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that, but I was not trusting it since I test and ammonia always came up at .25 on test kit I later found out that my test kit is not capable of accurate reading ammonia if coppersafe was in water. I would like to know how long others wait to do WC in hospitals.
If you're using API test kit for ammonia, just know that if you leave it long enough it will always read .25. That's always been my experience at least. The kit says let stand for 5 minutes, but I read it more around 3 minutes...

OP
OP
CarCrazy

CarCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using API test kit for ammonia, just know that if you leave it long enough it will always read .25. That's always been my experience at least. The kit says let stand for 5 minutes, but I read it more around 3 minutes...
That is the kit I use. I do wait the 5 min with a timer. Will try 3 min next time. Thanks for the hint.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water change twice a week most weeks, but sometimes miss midweek and only do it once a week. I start a new 5 gallon bucket of salt water mixing, as soon as I empty it at water change, that way, can do a quick change if notice a problem. I have a 10 gallon QT so 5 gallons is perfect.

OP
OP
CarCrazy

CarCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water change twice a week most weeks, but sometimes miss midweek and only do it once a week. I start a new 5 gallon bucket of salt water mixing, as soon as I empty it at water change, that way, can do a quick change if notice a problem. I have a 10 gallon QT so 5 gallons is perfect.
Thanks for the info. Daily WC are a pain. I thought it was much but really didn't want to chance it. I like the idea of keeping a bucket ready. I have been making it as I go.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back