I'm totally new to saltwater

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Susan and I've had freshwater tanks in the past and am embarking on a reef tank. My future son in law--I hope--has a 500 gal saltwater and I love it so much, I decided to come back to the fish world. My dau has a 50 gal.

I just snagged from Craigslist a brand new Red Sea Max C250. Never been used or had any water in it. Can't believe the deal--like a third of the retail. Right now, it is in garage until I make room for it in my office. That means totally redoing office and getting rid of some furniture. It's a small 10x10 room with lots of stuff!

I'm a full time writer and it will be a pleasure to have a tank in my work space. Bet my cats will love it as well--4 of the 5 have beds across my desk. Right now there are 3 balls of fluff.

I'm researching RO units, ATO's, going to go with dry rock and live sand. Making a list of other equipment I need like nets <g>. The aquarium is plug and play, though I want a few spare parts on hand, like an extra pump or fans. Come summer, will need a chiller as my area gets hot.

Eager to start buying rock and designing my aquascape. I figure I'll take my time and do it right the first time. Won't get it up until after January, I'm sure as I'm finishing a book, have xmas gifts to make, and an office to purge!

Looking forward to checking out this site

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan!
Here is a great resource ...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Make sure to start a build thread :)

IMG_4786 santa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start a build thread when I get my aquarium into my office! Two pieces of furniture have to go. Got them emptied yesterday. Will get them out on Friday and Saturday and move base in. Before I put the tank in, I want to clean it (real dusty--never used but dusty) and I also want to take the sump componets apart so I know how it goes together. Then will use regular water and do a test run of all equipment. Trying to decide on rock and sand and making list of other componets. Would like to get a chiller now, even though I don't need. Figure better to get it all together now. Might have to wait on that as they are costly. Picked out a RO/DI unit on amazon. Looking for a container for my RO water. Thinking a dog food container set next to the tank might work as I can easily top it off with fresh RO water and I can use a larger tank than what fits below cabinet. http://www3.marinedepot.com/AutoAqu...op_Off_System-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPAT-vi.html. Also want to find a cheap 10 gal aquarium for refugium but that might have to wait too. Nervous and excited

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back