Impossible phosphate issue

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried about everything to reduce my phosphates and they are still 0.18.
Started at 2.53, yes the 2 is on the right side lol, about a year ago.
Since then I have replaced all my rock and sand. This dropped them to where they are now, 0.18. I have a refugium and algea scrubber. I have run phosguard, gfo, and now trying phosphate minus from aquaforest. Any help would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
Hans24hrs

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Those numbers were from triton tests, but they were close to my home kits

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess your using RO/DI water too?

Have you tested freshly mixed water?

Have you tried NOPOX or AF Pro Bio S with NP Pro?

One other thing... I run my Rowaphos GFO tumbling in it's own reactor, not packed with AC in the same reactor. :)

:joycat:

OP
OP
Hans24hrs

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested fresh mix 0 phosphate. Run 4 stage RO wroth dual membranes. I am currently using AF now.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Seachem but...
I personally never had any luck with phosguard

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you replace rock and is it Dry Rock or Live Rock?

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, your RO water is it your system or do you get it somewhere else? Are the cartridges up to date? Tap water is a huge source of phosphate.

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than your readings, are there any signs of an ALGAE BLOOM or bacteria growth? If not, I would not worry about the readings....they could be a false positive. However, I am concern with the statement about replacing all your rocks and sand..... Seems like a bad move unless the rocks and sand were already established with bacteria. - - - - - - This is a very vulnerable situation if that's the case. How old is your system and what are your other water chemistry parameters?

Larry

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,:rolleyes:
If you bought new Dry rock and didn't cure it or acid wash it can leach out phos.

Are you tumbling the AF GFO in it's own reactor?:triumph:

OP
OP
Hans24hrs

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than your readings, are there any signs of an ALGAE BLOOM or bacteria growth? If not, I would not worry about the readings....they could be a false positive. However, I am concern with the statement about replacing all your rocks and sand..... Seems like a bad move unless the rocks and sand were already established with bacteria. - - - - - - This is a very vulnerable situation if that's the case. How old is your system and what are your other water chemistry parameters?

Larry

No algea issues, macro in fuge barely grows. I replaced rock after removing 2 random peices and placin them in separate buckets to test phosphate. Both came up with very high readings

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO and Phosguard (and lanthanum) will certainly be able to bring down inorganic phosphate levels (FWIW, triton does not specifically give results for inorganic phosphate, and what you see is at least partly organic matter) when used sufficiently.

The key to these binders is using enough and replacing them often enough. When levels are elevated, they get depleted rapidly.

That said, if you are not experiencing a problem, I wouldn't agonize over it. :)

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt you could use lanthanum or similar chemical and achieve a low or even zero phos reading. My question is why are trying so hard? What's your goal? What problem are you attempting to solve?

OP
OP
Hans24hrs

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO and Phosguard (and lanthanum) will certainly be able to bring down inorganic phosphate levels (FWIW, triton does not specifically give results for inorganic phosphate, and what you see is at least partly organic matter) when used sufficiently.

The key to these binders is using enough and replacing them often enough. When levels are elevated, they get depleted rapidly.

That said, if you are not experiencing a problem, I wouldn't agonize over it. :)

I lost all my coral about 6 months ago. I can't keep any sps right now. All my triton test show elevated levels of phosphorus too

Back