Impossible phosphate issue

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hans24hrs - IMO your tank crashed because of high phosphates, as it is known that phosphates are inhibiting coral calcification at this levels - more info here (Randy's article :D) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/#5 . And now you are struggling to keep SPS just because your new rocks are "to young", and not because of phosphates. From my experience dry or artificial rocks needs few months of stable environment to mature. Even if we dump dead rocks in the ocean it will took several months prior corals to decide the rocks are good enough for them :). My advice would be to chose only one method for phosphate export, f.e. NOPOX or other ethanol:vinegar method is just fine and will remove phosphate als. Try keeping phosphates not rising (no need to lover current levels), and to keep nitrates detectable, and I'm sure you will have happy SPSes in few months from now. :)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate is 2.0 and my nitrates are 160. To solve both problems I threw out all my test kits and went out to dinner and had a nice bottle of merlot. The corals seem to like the idea as they are all smiling and doing the macarana. I think those supposed numbers are over rated. Just my opinion of course. :rolleyes:

I'm sure if you share this bottle of merlot with your corals they will be even happier since wine is just not poisonous version of NOPOX :D :D :D

We have quite good brands of merlot here in Bulgaria, I know some of them are exported, try them if you can find some, you will not be disappointed.;)

Last edited:

250mixreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than your readings, are there any signs of an ALGAE BLOOM or bacteria growth? If not, I would not worry about the readings....they could be a false positive. However, I am concern with the statement about replacing all your rocks and sand..... Seems like a bad move unless the rocks and sand were already established with bacteria. - - - - - - This is a very vulnerable situation if that's the case. How old is your system and what are your other water chemistry parameters?

Larry
This is excellent advice

OP
OP
Hans24hrs

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to stop dosing the redsea for one week. Phosphate jumped back up to 0.30. I am still trying to figure source of issue. I feed with spectrum pellets mainly. A buddy of mine recommended switching food.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to stop dosing the redsea for one week. Phosphate jumped back up to 0.30. I am still trying to figure source of issue. I feed with spectrum pellets mainly. A buddy of mine recommended switching food.

Unless you use tap water, the ultimate source of phosphate is foods. All have a lot, by necessity.

Back