imustbenuts office 65g revamp build

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first "build" thread and I am interested in feedback. A little history on how I started in this hobby. Family friends were moving out of state, circa 2003, and they had an octagon freshwater tank they couldn't take. The only fish in it was a huge sucker. We said we'd take care of their fish. After about a month, I started feeling bad for the fish. It was so large for the tank. We decided to donate him to our friend who had a pond. Needless to say the family friends who moved were very sad when they came to visit and their fish was not here. I feel bad about that but I think the sucker enjoyed his new home. We stocked the octagon with the norm for newbys; tetras, guppies, fake decorations, etc. When visiting the LFS I would always find myself drawn to the saltwater fish. Something about the way they swim compared to freshwater fish and the more vibrant colors helped too. So when we decided to buy a new house and move in 2004 I figured it would be a great time to make the switch to saltwater.
The first saltwater tank:

image.jpg

Great husbandry, eh
Standard 29g 30x12x15 big box special. Well my first attempt didn't go so well. Set it up with the freshwater equipment, fake decorations and all, IO salt mixed in tap water and in go the damsels. After the damsels died within a month, I let the tank sit for at least another 2 months dark. I though maybe I wasn't cut out for this hobby.
I became tired of looking at my failure in the living room and decided I would go to work and figure out what I did wrong. Oh my, did I open Pandora's box.
Hate to start this and not get to any meat but it's late, I'm tired, and I have to get up early. I will get to the revamp build tomorrow.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many late nights in front of the computer, I learned about the cycle process, tap water issues, filtering needs compared to freshwater, protein skimming, etc. so I picked up some new equipment, RODI water from the LFS, and had a go for a second time. Success! Made it through the cycle and added a clown, couple more damsels, and clean up crew. For eight years I enjoyed the same 29g tank, added a few more fish, corals, shrimp, and learned a lot along the way.
Jump to 2012. Decided it was time to upgrade my display and set up a 90g at home. I also have been wanting to set up a tank at my office but wanted something a little nicer than the 29g set up. This is the 90g I set up to replace the 29g.

Tank 2012
image.jpg

Most recent pic
image.jpg

Ok, enough history. I'll get to my office set up now.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 65g 32x24x22 package deal. Tank, stand, sump, with atman ph4000 return pump, SCA-302 skimmer and plumbing. The whole setup was Chinese point of sale. Nonetheless, I owned it and set it up.
image.jpg

The light is the Maxspect Razor r420r 16k 27". After some aquascaping.
image.jpg

The 29g live rock and fish were transferred to the 65g. The tank was set up for a few months and the noise from the overflow was very loud. Since it's in my office it became very distracting. So, one night after messing around with the drain flow and return pump to quiet the drain, I came in the next morning to water on my floor. The salinity dropped a little but no harm to the inhabitants. The main issue was the particle board stand. It swelled and I was worried the stand would fail. So, I embarked on a DIY stand since the dimensions of the tank are not a standard size.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry I didn't take many pics during the stand build. It is a typical 2x4 frame skinned with alder hard wood, trim, and mouldings. I can be more detailed about the stand build if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is where I would like some feedback. The live rock has been in my tank now for 11 years. I will post pics but trying to decide if I should transfer the live rock or start over with new rock. You'll see why I'm wondering in the pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I will mention also, the yellow tail damsel in the pic I've had since I started the 29g tank in 2004. The clown I bought at the same time 11 years ago is in my 90g at home.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess I'll ask the question about keeping the old live rock in the general forum since no one has replied.
At this point in my revamp build I am preparing to empty the 65g so I can do some modifications to the drain and return holes. I am planning to remove the current overflow and drill holes in the back glass instead. I hope to install the synergy reef system or something similar. I may even have a DIY attempt at it. I figure since I already picked up the acrylic for a DIY sump I might as well try. I will be taking pics of my progress and DIY projects to add here as I go.

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read mixed information about "old" live rock. Some say it can become a nitrate trap and its best to start fresh, some say it's total bs and fine to use again. I see you have a bit of an aptasia problem, which can be managed as long as it isn't out of control. There are a number of methods people have had success with, I will let your research and the Google help you out on that one.

I've not read any really definitive information one way or the other about "old" live rock. The way I see it, keep the ones you are attached to, or the ones you can't get the corals off of and junk the rest that way you reduce the work you have to do in getting the aptasia problem gone. My 2c. Research is king here though.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Although the aptasia is a nuisance I've learned to live with it. I usually have to order, once a year, about 6 breghia nudibranch. They will do a good job of wiping them out but as stated its not a permanent fix. I have been thinking about adding a copper band butterfly as well for maintenance. My main issue with the rocks are the number of hydroids. I don't know if I want to take the time to try and kill them off. There must be close to a thousand or more. Don't know if it would be worth the effort.

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, I didn't notice the hydroids till ou mentioned it. I had a horrendous byropsis outbreak I fought for close to 5 years. I've since given up and have decided to junk the rock. I feel your pain. My problem even has caused me to junk all the corals as well as I can't stand the idea of carrying the problem over to another tank. Best of luck to you! I definitely think it's a difficult choice you have on your hands.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree.
At this point I'm thinking I'll frag the coral and order some base rock from Marco rocks or bulk reef supply and just start over fresh. I assume since I'll be setting it up with new sand and base rock the system will have to cycle again. I was hoping to avoid that. I hear good things about Dr Tim's instant cycle product. Since I only have 3 small fish in this tank I shouldn't have a problem.
I'm trying to decide on an acceptable temporary box while I work on the modifications to the tank and build the sump.

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had shattered my sump on my tank at one point and managed to keep my fish and corals alive for a few days in 5 gal buckets with a heater and a cheap hob filter. Not ideal but if it's extremely short term it works.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe it's 10 months later. I guess I need to update this thread. About 6 months ago I came in my office and water was on the floor again. The silicone return line partially popped off the return pump and sprayed 2 - 3 gallons out of the sump. So, I was forced to tear down the tank to clean up the water. Unfortunately, I have been fighting Dino's on my home tank and put this tank on the back burner. I did pick up a 29g acrylic tank off craigslist to house the fish and some corals.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here is a pic of the Dino issue.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fun stuff! I have come a long way and feel I am on the road to recovery. So I started to work on the office tank again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have completed quite a bit on the revamp. So far I have pulled out the current over flow, removed the black vinyl film from the back glass, drilled out the current return hole for a 1/2" bulkhead to add an additional drain hole to fit a 1" bulkhead. It was my first attempt at drilling glass. I was nervous as heck but was successful! Now I have the 2, 1" drains in the new overflow box and I drilled 2, 1/2" bulkhead returns in the back glass. And painted the back glass.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issues! Glad to see you pressing on!

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issues! Glad to see you pressing on!
Thanks for the reply. I had always heard and read about the horror stories but never thought I'd be dealing with it myself. The issues I've dealt with are mild compared to some of the others I've read about. Having fun with the revamp and upgrades though!

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I have completed the bulk of the sump build. Just need to make some lids. I might create a second shelf attached to the adjustable baffle. I haven't decided yet.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have the old rock cleaned and curing at home. Slowly it's coming back together. Need to order the rest of the plumbing. I usually use a local fish store for plumbing but am considering ordering some colored pvc for the build. I was thinking red or blue with black fittings.
Also, I think I'm going to build a matching top off container and dosing container.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stand! How could one even make such ridiculously beautiful stand? props man. Teach me wood working.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stand! How could one even make such ridiculously beautiful stand? props man. Teach me wood working.
Thanks for the props! This stand is my first ever as well. The only past woodworking I've had was a carpentry class in high school 30 years ago. I watched a lot of YouTube videos on cabinet making and fish tank stands to get an idea of what I wanted. As questions came up I'd search for more specific techniques on the issue I was having. I enjoy working with my hands and building things, so, I didn't mind learning along the way. plus new projects usually mean new tools. Need to justify my tool purchases somehow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back