OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided to make a rock structure instead of just stacking rocks in the tank. Almost time to add water.

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rockscape looks great! The whole tank is a really beautiful design as well!
Thank you very much. It is going very slow but I'm in no real rush. Just trying to make it nice like so many other builds I see being done on here. All my other tanks were just thrown together and I really wanted to do things with a purpose this time.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I wanted to do an update. I have water and have started cycling. Still plenty to do to button everything up but wanted to at least get it wet. I had leaks on my threaded conections from the manifold to the ball valves. I pulled the nipple from the valves and reducers and re-taped them. No more leaks!

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick video. This thing is super quiet. Very happy with it so far.

Started the cycle yesterday with a shrimp. 0 ammonia yesterday and today...

IMG_7340.JPG

I went ahead and threw in the Dr Tims one and only nitrifying bacteria you see behind the color chart today as well. We'll see how long it takes to get the ammonia to 0.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on cycle
IMG_7341.JPG
Day 2

IMG_7342.JPG

Day 3

IMG_7352.JPG

Day 7

Day 7 appeared to be lighter than day 3, so, I started nitrite testing as well.
IMG_7354.JPG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim's works but you should have waited for the natural bacterial development...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutsy..
I ain't no biologist but from what I have known. Dr. TIM has studied those strains of bacteria which cultivates naturally in the aquarium and has incorporated few in the one and only.. Encapsulated bacteria have a limited shelf life, you get more diversity in natural cycle. Few of the strains are dormant, few are quicker... It's complex, nature still is...

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutsy..
I ain't no biologist but from what I have known. Dr. TIM has studied those strains of bacteria which cultivates naturally in the aquarium and has incorporated few in the one and only.. Encapsulated bacteria have a limited shelf life, you get more diversity in natural cycle. Few of the strains are dormant, few are quicker... It's complex, nature still is...
Well, I'll see how it goes. I would imagine the natural bacterial build up will occur as well over time. Time will tell. If you have any links to support your position I'd be interested to read them. Has anyone actually done a study on this? Maybe I'll send Dr Tim a message and get his take on this.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll see how it goes. I would imagine the natural bacterial build up will occur as well over time. Time will tell. If you have any links to support your position I'd be interested to read them. Has anyone actually done a study on this? Maybe I'll send Dr Tim a message and get his take on this.
It is complex, you can follow this thread, where i had an interesting convo (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/old-tank-syndrome.281401/page-3#post-3425129) with a biologist. I support work of Dr. Tim, but since it's hard to imitate nature and there are things still we don't know i'd go with natural cycle. Bottled and the one that can occur may differ in strain and can inter collide (WW3).
FYI a specific thread on the otha community. I don't know if i could be jailed for posting a link. lol..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004473

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is complex, you can follow this thread, where i had an interesting convo (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/old-tank-syndrome.281401/page-3#post-3425129) with a biologist. I support work of Dr. Tim, but since it's hard to imitate nature and there are things still we don't know i'd go with natural cycle. Bottled and the one that can occur may differ in strain and can inter collide (WW3).
FYI a specific thread on the otha community. I don't know if i could be jailed for posting a link. lol..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004473
@TherealplexiG thanks for the links. I'll have a look!

Build is really nice so far! Beautiful stand.
Thank you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had water in my tank about a week before I added it. About 2 weeks later and I have a diatom bloom starting. ;)

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had water in my tank about a week before I added it. About 2 weeks later and I have a diatom bloom starting. ;)
Good to know @revhtree. I had water about a week as well. It'll be interesting to see how it compares. I will say I had to store my one and only in the fridge for like 6 months before use due to things moving slower than I anticipated.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to change my drain setup. I had drain 1 tuned to allow water to overflow down drain 2. Drain 2 fills the refugium in the sump. To control the water flow down drain 2 I could change the amount of water tuned to flow down drain 1. This setup worked just fine. However, I would get lots of bubbles if I increased the flow going down drain 2. The water level is high in the refugium. When the bubbles popped on the surface, it would spray saltwater. So, I have decided to tee off drain 1 to allow part of the tuned drain to flow to the refugium. This will allow me to put more water in the refugium without bubbles.
Before:
IMG_7013.JPG

In process:
IMG_7427.JPG

I have to maneuver the split around the return line. Hopefully, reality works as good as therory.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back