In need of help

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to R2R... i have had a 90 gallon tank for a numerous amount of years. But it hasnt been set. In about 10. Since purchasing a new home. Im ready to set it back up. I used to to have it as a salt tank. But now i want a reef tank.
The tank isnt drilled. So i was thinking overflow. Any ideas ???????

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it. But its not an acrylic tank. Its thick glass. Thats why i was thinking to go with the overflow..

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need something like this if you don't want to risk drilling it yourself. They have their own set of challenges and occasional problems. They rely on a siphon which can break and floods are possible if that happens. Just a thought.
images

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need something like this if you don't want to risk drilling it yourself. They have their own set of challenges and occasional problems. They rely on a siphon which can break and floods are possible if that happens. Just a thought.
images
I do appreciate that. I will look into that more. How hard is it to drill with thick glass.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate that. I will look into that more. How hard is it to drill with thick glass.

It's not a cake walk, but most people seem to be able to do it just fine. The one time i tried it I cracked the entire back pane of glass on a 75 gallon. :( I went reef ready ever since.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it. But its not an acrylic tank. Its thick glass. Thats why i was thinking to go with the overflow..
You can drill glass tanks with diamond coated hole saw, if you google it there's a lot of great tutorials on it. It's pretty easy to do on thick glass if you have the space to set it up and go for it. You can do the hang-on overflow box as well, but I would get a float switch for the return pump so you don't have a flood if the siphon fails.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drill glass tanks with diamond coated hole saw, if you google it there's a lot of great tutorials on it. It's pretty easy to do on thick glass if you have the space to set it up and go for it. You can do the hang-on overflow box as well, but I would get a float switch for the return pump so you don't have a flood if the siphon fails.
It's not a cake walk, but most people seem to be able to do it just fine. The one time i tried it I cracked the entire back pane of glass on a 75 gallon. :( I went reef ready ever since.
I appreciate that. Its an old tank that was handed down from my grandfther. I might lean towards the overflow. And tske my chances there for the start.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to leak test that 90g tank before setting it up or investing in it. Sometimes tanks that have been in storage don't hold water as well as they used to.
Most definately will. Was supposed to have done that this past weekend. But ended up doing other things. But will definitely do that this weekend.

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note. I once bought a second hand tank that had been dry for quite a few years. Leak tested fine but 3 months later it let go. I won't do a used tank again without resealing. It can make it a bit unsightly but I use them for QT so I don't care

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Larry to another...if you have the time and space, I would invest into the proper drill bit and tools to build your own over flow box with attached plumbing. By doing so, you will fuel the spirit of creativity and you'll increase your interest in the hobby. HOB overflows could be great to start but over time, a lot things can happen as far as snail/algae growth/detritus/floods....etc. I would suggest researching the glass tank to check for tempered panels.

I'm sure you'll be able to build your own overflow with the patience and attention that the hobby requires.
Good luck with your build. And please keep us all posted on your outcome.

- Larry

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home first of all, you will love it here!

Secondly, it sounds like your tank is at least ten years old and has been moved at least a couple times, perhaps sitting empty for some time. Those are all high risk factors for your tank glass.

After nearly burning my brand new build house to the ground with an old tank that leaked in to a power cord, and another breaking and flooding the main level destroying 20k of flooring ceiling and basement -- I highly suggest to you to keep the used stuff but buy new glass. It's not worth the risk.

Just my .02.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note. I once bought a second hand tank that had been dry for quite a few years. Leak tested fine but 3 months later it let go. I won't do a used tank again without resealing. It can make it a bit unsightly but I use them for QT so I don't care
I will definately test it this weekend . I was gonna reseal the whole tank as well though. Tryung to be on the dafe side. Cut out the old glue from the inside first then reseal.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to leak test that 90g tank before setting it up or investing in it. Sometimes tanks that have been in storage don't hold water as well as they used to.
Checked the tank. Cleaned and filled. Found a small leak at the top right front corner. Sealing that tomorrow. Thinking seriously about drilling. Already have wood to build a stand and top.

20170122_150623.jpg

20170122_152206.jpg

OP
OP
Larry adams

Larry adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Larry to another...if you have the time and space, I would invest into the proper drill bit and tools to build your own over flow box with attached plumbing. By doing so, you will fuel the spirit of creativity and you'll increase your interest in the hobby. HOB overflows could be great to start but over time, a lot things can happen as far as snail/algae growth/detritus/floods....etc. I would suggest researching the glass tank to check for tempered panels.

I'm sure you'll be able to build your own overflow with the patience and attention that the hobby requires.
Good luck with your build. And please keep us all posted on your outcome.

- Larry
Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously leaning towards drilling the tank. Since i have never done it before, i am sceptical. But i do believe that i can do it. I will definately keep everyone posted. Just cleaned the tank and filled. Found a small leak that will be taken care of by the following weekend.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back