Zoanthus
Polyps

LPS
2 Frogspawn
Hammer
Favites
3 Torch
Elegance Coral

Please make any suggestions especially cool things I'm missing. FYI I am on a bit of a budget.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to provide some info about your tank. Size, how long has it been set up etc

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my year plan. I'm in the end stages of my cycle now. 0 amonia but still have nitrite. I will wait tell the test come back clean before I start adding. I plan to start with shrimp and shy fish first. Hopping to add a couple things evey other week.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish I think you need to remove the Purple Tang and the Puffer. The tang will outgrow your tank quickly. For the puffer...I assume you mean a porcupine....it will eat corals, inverts, clams, and pick on other fish....plus they get to be a foot long.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same stage as you. 90 gal
With 30 sump. Interested to see what the grand pubas have to say

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals, your list looks good so far. You should look into a Dendro or maybe a black sun coral (they are easier than the orange). On your zoas, be picky on your selections...there are so so many out there. And some zoas/palys grow very quickly...so you want to make sure you like them before they take over an entire rock.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see...what else....for your snails, you should get Trochus instead of Astrea. They both eat the same kind of stuff, but Trochus have the ability to right themselves if they accidently flip over...the Astrea can't. Also if you are going to try and do hermits and snails, make sure you have a lot of extra shells of varying sizes for the hermits to pick from. It is very very common for hermits to eat snails for their shells.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting are you going to have and what kind of pump(s) and powerhead(s)? I ask because of you listing a clam.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking a Saddle Valentini Puffer. I would like to have 2 tangs preferably ones that stay smaller. Any recomendations? I completely agree about the zoa and polyps. I plan to put them on islands and I live 20 min from world wide coral so I plan to wait on ones I love. Like salted aguava zoa.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 t5s. Thinking about adding a 1200k led strip. There is 4 power heads 2x 800g/h and 2 x 500g/h. My circulation pump moves 1300g/h

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That puffer should be okay from what I know about them....but I'm no puffer expert.
On tangs, there aren't many that are recommended for a 90g (I also have a 90g). In mine I have a yellow and a tomini. I added then both at the same time and they are the same size...so they haven't been fighting yet.
For your lighting, you'll need to add more to support a clam in time...maybe supplement with a couple of good 48" LED strips or mount a couple of pendant style LEDs.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the mandarin, my recommendation would be to hold off and allow your tank to really mature and established a very solid pod population before you add your mandarin. The mandarin diet consists primarily of copepods. Also realize you will need a constant supply to sustain your mandarin long term. Seeding it regularly will be costly. Cultivating your own pods in a refugium or separate system is ideal. It is also quite possible to train your mandarin to take smaller frozen food such as brine shrimp with target feeding by baster. This could take some time though.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see some others chime in here on your stocking list, because I also think it is on the heavy side. What kind of skimmer do you have?

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing about the manderan. I alcualy already put some copepods in. I plan to wait a min of 6 months before adding him. I also have a refugium with chato to help there populations sustain. I can already see them.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see some others chime in here on your stocking list, because I also think it is on the heavy side. What kind of skimmer do you have?

I agree, the stocking list is ambitious. Also consider the max sizes of the fish on your list, in addition to the quantity.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the stocking list is ambitious. Also consider the max sizes of the fish on your list, in addition to the quantity.

I have been trying to pick smaller fish so I can have more. Lol are there articular items you think I should reconsider?

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be tough to do a school of chromis and 2 tangs. Chromis each get 3 inches or so and produce a heavy bioload. The tangs need a lot of swimming room and a good supply of nori which will also increase your bio-load.

Back