Instructions on adding Kent Tech M Magnesium to kill bryopsis algae

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty easy really. You buy the Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Chloride, and mix according to their directions. The only difference between how you mix depends on how you dose for calcium. They have great directions on their site.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty easy really. You buy the Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Chloride, and mix according to their directions. The only difference between how you mix depends on how you dose for calcium. They have great directions on their site.

This worked with Bryopsis? That's the first magnesium supplement that I've heard of that works besides the Tech M. If it works, it would definitely help out pricewise.

Also, you may see some bleached colors in your corals. I had bleaching in a sunset montipora and some zoas. The color came back in time (a few months).

CJ

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is my understanding of this "cure" for byropsis, is that it is the impurity in Tech M that kills the bryopsis and not the mag itself. So with that information that I have read in threads and statements from Randy Holmes-Farley, regular mag supplements won't work.

micmickay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am having the same problem, i shd dose 130ml (140 gal tank) until mag to reach 1800 level, right? Then i have to keep this for couple weeks?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, i am having the same problem, i shd dose 130ml (140 gal tank) until mag to reach 1800 level, right? Then i have to keep this for couple weeks?

You should be sure to use Tech M and use this calculator to get the amount right.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

micmickay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about once i reach that level of 1800, i have to keep at that level as long as the hairy algae is still there?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Usually within a few days to a week you should see something happening. But you need to take it slow getting it there. 100 to 150 ppm per day.
Then after that is up to you.

Getting it there is the harder part ( expensive part)
In my case I did this twice on 2 different tanks and the mg seemed to stay at or close to the 1800ppm level without adding much once it was there.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, just found it. Its an impurity in the solution that actually kills the byopsis :) I knew I read that somewhere. haha

According to Randy Holmes-Farley "It is likely some unknown impurity, not the magnesium, chloride, or sulfate."

It is my understanding of this "cure" for byropsis, is that it is the impurity in Tech M that kills the bryopsis and not the mag itself. So with that information that I have read in threads and statements from Randy Holmes-Farley, regular mag supplements won't work.
The vid I aw was from vivid aquatics? Maybe.. they said they use it and maybe even started the trend and tht industry partners told them it's the impurity of metals that kills the briopsis, so ... y want to run car on after...
Hopefully it still has this impurity... as more people would buy it as a briopsis cure then a mag supplement... For SURE.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back