• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Interest in helping me test my shipping method?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all!
I'm starting to frag up a few colonies and I've always thought I would sell locally but just recently I've been thinking to ship things as well.
Is anyone interested in letting me ship them a frag (palys or zoas) for just the cost of shipping (thinking around $40). I'm looking for 5-6 different people to ship to.
I'm not ready to ship out yet, (probably within 3 weeks) wanting to gauge who would be willing to take a chance on a new shipper lol
It would be a frag of gold dust palys, a red and blue mushroom, a few different colored wild zoas, or a twizzler morph.
To be clear though, there will be no refunds as this is a test.
All I ask in return is that you critic my packaging. Is it crappy, did it hold up, condition of frags, etc.
if you're interested please send me a message.
If you have any questions please let me know :)
IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0842.JPG

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is much easier than you may think. I don't think you need to go through all that testing.

I can give you tips if you need. A lot of it is based on the weather of your airport versus the airport it is going to.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey not sure if you know or anyone has said anything but look into shipnex. I've seen others suggest it for cheaper shipping rates. I've never checked it fully myself but it gives you other options.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is much easier than you may think. I don't think you need to go through all that testing.

I can give you tips if you need. A lot of it is based on the weather of your airport versus the airport it is going to.
Agreed, when I first started shipping all I did was use the same boxes and coolers I got my shipments in and repackaged everything.
Then as I started shipping more and more importantly started using heat sealed bags and buying my own shipping boxes. But all of those things are easy to buy on amazon.
Don't get me wrong I think what your doing/ offering people is pretty cool. Especially if you make the frag packs worth the shipping cost or more. Always good to get experience

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the interest guys!!
I have 6 that have PMd me and spots are full :)
I just did all the fragging tonight!

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just filled the last spot.
But once this is complete I'll post an actual for sale thread :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the interest guys!!
I have 6 that have PMd me and spots are full :)
I just did all the fragging tonight!

I would suggest you let those fresh cuts heal for 10-14 days before you ship out. It will reduce your DOA or unhappy customers down to less than 1%.

This will also help to get legit feedback on your shipping techniques.

Some zoa/palys bounce back quick especially if your using a band saw to cut them..........some definitely need 10 days.

The healing time is a must for Sps.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info-Im waiting 2 weeks before I ship out.
I mostly use a dremel (apartment is too small for a bandsaw hahaha) but it worked out really well considering.

fishboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It very much depend on where the hub is. You send it, fed ex ships it to there hub, fed ex ships it it your local airport and it goes on a truck. If you ever track your packages you'll see how it works.

I live in Portland Or, my buddy ships me stuff from eastern Washington wich is in the next state over only about only 3-400 miles away. After he ships it, it goes to the Midwest somewhere I forget but it happens every single time.

It then gets shipped to Portland airport then transfers to Lake Oswego Or, then it's sorted and put on a truck. It's not only airport to destination. It might be in some places but none I've ever seen. And this is over night I am referring to.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be close to a hub (cleveland) Mine always comes from destination to the local hub then me-fedex anyway.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In Cleveland .........you ship west coast it goes through Indianapolis...........south through Memphis. Those are two main hubs. In the winter you have to watch those to make sure you aren't sending the package into a major storm that can ground planes, or cause semi-truck delays.

To the east they are more direct without stopping.

There is a major Cleveland hub in Aurora-Bedford Hts.......everything goes out of that hub first when I ship.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...so I'm looking at the prices....
Am I crazy or is it really this expensive!?
Box with insulation is $20-40
Overnight FedEx-$50-60
That's each and doesn't include bags or hot/cold solutions.
I was not expecting it to be this high...

Back