Introducing inverts

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten inconsistent recommendations on the proper procedures for introducing inverts. I am slowly setting up a new office DT and would like to start adding a few shrimp and some coral frags.

I have seen what look like rather solid procedures for dipping and placing corals and fish in quarantine, but nothing similar for invertebrate species. I tossed my turbos and a shrimp from an old tank into my new without a second thought. I recently added a fire shrimp and became concerned that I might have shot myself in the foot.

I lost all of my fish from my old tank to an ich outbreak and accompanying ammonia spike (I was out of town on business and several of the deceased starting decomposing in the tank). I am hoping to not repeat my failures.

Any recommendations or links would be appreciated.

- Drew

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always acclimate inverts and corals into a fishless frag tank. Drip acclimate, then dip the corals, then into the QT. Mine is a simple frag tank with no fish, Live rock, AI Prime, and a 20 gallon JBJ frag tank. It's AIO so that made it more simple. You can do something even simpler though with just a small tank, HOB filter, heater, small powerhead, live rock, sand and a T5 light. Leave the corals there for 76 days before putting them into the DT. This will be sure that all fish parasites have hatched and starved and died before putting htem into the tank. Inverts are the same except for shrimp which can go into the display after molting.

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always acclimate inverts and corals into a fishless frag tank. Drip acclimate, then dip the corals, then into the QT. Mine is a simple frag tank with no fish, Live rock, AI Prime, and a 20 gallon JBJ frag tank. It's AIO so that made it more simple. You can do something even simpler though with just a small tank, HOB filter, heater, small powerhead, live rock, sand and a T5 light. Leave the corals there for 76 days before putting them into the DT. This will be sure that all fish parasites have hatched and starved and died before putting htem into the tank. Inverts are the same except for shrimp which can go into the display after molting.
Thank you!

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that anemones can be held for three days and then are safe to go into the display since they don't have any hard surface. I am curious if nudibranches can transport ich?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that anemones can be held for three days and then are safe to go into the display since they don't have any hard surface. I am curious if nudibranches can transport ich?
True... as for nudis, a quick rinse using display water into a bucket for discarding and that should do it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back