Introducing the Photon V2!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Photon series is our flagship line of lights, and the second generation of the Photons brings many of the features customers have requested since the release of the original.

The new Photon V2 is packed with new features and improvements:

• Wireless 6-channel controller

• 5 watt Cree XT-E LEDs and 3 Watt Cree/Semi/Osram diodes

• All Aluminum case

• Built in mounting legs

• Temperature controlled fans

• 2-Year USA warranty

You can order the new Photon V2 in sizes from 16" to 48" directly through our website, limited quantities are in stock!

https://www.reefbreeders.com/new-photon-v2/

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very nice looking - a big improvement aesthetically over the V1.

Are the leds easily swappable?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very nice looking - a big improvement aesthetically over the V1.

Are the leds easily swappable?

Thanks!

The LEDs aren't swappable, Crees are very small which makes them tough to solder by hand. Each cluster can be replaced if need be.

48" are all gone /?/

No, in fact they will be in next week. We did not list them yet since they will not be in stock until our next shipment is in.

Is the LEDs replaceable when one fail? Can this unit be upgraded in the future?

Yes, each cluster can be replaced individually if need be.

Let me know when you make a 60"

We will announce those here/to our email list when they are ready, should be a couple of Months.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
logan,

couple questions for you..

what're the lengthxwidth dimensions compared to the V1?

are the mounting points similarly laid out to the v1? I made custom legs for my v1 as well as a t5 retrofit and would like to maybe swap to a v2 if i can make it work

superlight.jpg

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the fans blowing down into tank? This seems to be detrimental to added heat and dust added to our systems.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably pulling air up from the bottom, not pushing down
That's not really logical to draw salt creep into the fixture then basically. Also didn't see vents on the top for exhaust then. Looks like a awesome light just trying to understand the fans placement. They must have a good reason for it.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's an awesome setup @Reef Fever ! I'd like to know how you did that. Are the T5's on timers?

Yes. It's a 48" aquaticlife fixture I basically cut in half lol. So the entire fixture is on a controller (seperate from the led though)

That's not really logical to draw salt creep into the fixture then basically. Also didn't see vents on the top for exhaust then. Looks like a awesome light just trying to understand the fans placement. They must have a good reason for it.
I see what you're saying but you'd have to have a great deal of humidity or direct contact with water to create any sort of salt creep issue. Whether the fan is on top or bottom you'd get a similar result in a confined space with massive amounts of humidity. And even at that condensated water isn't going to have a very high salt content.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's a 48" aquaticlife fixture I basically cut in half lol. So the entire fixture is on a controller (seperate from the led though)

That's a great idea! So you just had to cut through the metal and then attach it to the RB light, then correct? What a great idea. I have to say, I love T5's with LED's and I'm a HUGE RB fan (no pun intended re: last comment). Those lights can grow anything I throw at 'em. I have a farm of SPS growing under them. Thanks for the help ReefFever!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
logan,

couple questions for you..

what're the lengthxwidth dimensions compared to the V1?

are the mounting points similarly laid out to the v1? I made custom legs for my v1 as well as a t5 retrofit and would like to maybe swap to a v2 if i can make it work

superlight.jpg

Same length/width, but much thinner at just about an inch. The mounting points can be moved actually, the slide along in a T-slot so you can position them as you please.

Why are the fans blowing down into tank? This seems to be detrimental to added heat and dust added to our systems.

They draw air up, not down.

Also, many many reefers do this on purpose to cool the tank- moving air aides in evaporation, which cools the system through a process known as evaporative cooling.

Unlike other lights with similar fan designs, the air at no point goes inside the light, the fan lies in a hole that draws air up through the heatsink fins on top, which helps the heat dissipate at that point. The fans are temperature controlled and the lights stayed warm to the touch with all channels at 100% for 3 days straight.

So no salt air makes it near any components/internals, and the light has a durable aluminum case that will not corrode, so as long as you clean the fins every few months it will cool the LEDs very efficiently.

What size would you recommend for a 180? The (3) 16'' or (3) 24''?

Neither actually, you would be best served with 2 32s, though any of those options will work, 2 32s will give you the most light for the lowest price.

Back