Is it cheaper to have my own feeder tank???

Angel12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I don't know if I'm in the right spot but I have a zebra dwarf lionfish and I'm thinking of doing my own feeder tank of ghost shrimp and was wondering if I would be just wasting my time doin so?

OP
OP
Angel12

Angel12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of constantly going to fish store and he won't take frozen. He almost did once and spit it out. Now everytime I offer frozen he turns away. So I'm thinking of breeding the ghost shrimp.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it.... not unless you have a strong urge to have the experience. It's doable, but it takes a lot of space to keep a good supply going. They don't grow all that fast. You have to separate out the babies from the adults immediately, as the folks will eat the fry. Then you have to have different tanks for different size groupings, because again, they are cannibalistic and will eat each other. Their upkeep can also be a little experience, with quality foods and water changes and maintenance and what not. Then there's the labor.

What food item did the zebra spit out? What have you offered him? How big is he? How often do you feed him?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel12

Angel12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had him about a month. Was feeding him ghost shrimp and some mollies. Been trying to feed him frozen krill cause that's what my fish store guy said to get. His bout 3 to 4 inches. This last week his been starving cause he won't take the krill. The fish store guy said I may have to starve him up to 2 weeks to eat the krill...but I'm scarred I'll kill him so I gave in and got some ghost shrimp yesterday

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freeze a few ghost shrimp, wait until Wednesday, thaw one out and offer it to him. If he refuses, don't feed him, but offer him another in a couple days.

What are you using to offer him the food? Tweezers or ? Can you get 50lb fishing line?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll eat when he's hungry enough. Try the fishing line thing it will work. Why 50lb though? 4lb would work just fine to dangle the offerings. Unless you have something else in mind.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept lots of dwarf lions over the years and they seem to switch over to frozen pretty fast. I would suggest trying some live brine it is not of much nutritional value but it is moving. If the lion takes the live brine feed some mysis shrimp at the same time or put a krill on a feeding stick and give it some motion to attract the lion fish. I always used ridged clear air line tube for a feeding stick with one end cut to a point that can hold the food. It might take some time to get the fish on frozen but once they learn it will be like feeding any other fish. If you have other fish in the tank will also help them to recognize the frozen. I would not recommend starving the fish for 2 weeks. A few days between meals will not hurt but not 2 weeks.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll eat when he's hungry enough. Try the fishing line thing it will work. Why 50lb though? 4lb would work just fine to dangle the offerings. Unless you have something else in mind.

They don't all convert when hungry enough. Some you have to teach what you are offering is food.

I put fishing line on a clear stick. The 50lb pound is the perfect weight for giving enough jiggle and also giving the person enough control. This link explains how to make one with simple tape.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/food-nutrition/tools-of-the-trade/

OP
OP
Angel12

Angel12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K I'll try the fishing line and see how it goes. Thanks for the help. And I have been trying to feed him with a bamboo stick as well as tweezers. He took a bite when I used the tweezers but spit out the krill. Thanks for y'all reply.:)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all do not switch over, and yeah breeding your own ghosties - no way. I keep a 10g with a sponge filter and just buy a 100 at a time at my lfs, I feeding 4 mouths now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back