Is my tank stable?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is four months old, supports a good amount of lps and coralline coming in strong. My paramaters today were; Alk 8.5 dkh, calcium 440 magnesium 1400. This was before I dosed. My tank consumes 3 dkh per day, I dose twice daily. So at 5am my tank is at 8.5dkh, I dose it to 10. Then at 5pm, my tank is back to 8.5, so I bring it back to 10. I dose equal part calcium. All my coral is thriving, and I can see growth Almost daily. I know a 1.5 swing is a bit much, but my corals don't mind. I want to know if I can support sps. Any thoughts?

image.png

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thought.

I've been hand dosing for years. Once a day. In the morning. For my current tank I was dosing 300 mls of both in the am before work and it probably brought my dKh from 8.5 to 10-11+? And by night falls to 8.5 again. I then got a dosing pump but was too lazy to set it up until weeks later. The dosing pump keeps everything stable (using Ca reactor instead) and I keep it as a back up just in case.

My tank is sps dominated. So although I didn't see any ill effects doing what I did for years, the stability is better peace of mind and what acros and sps would like to experience day to day. You'll see them thrive and take off if there is stability, and in the sps game stability is king.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps= stability promotes success. Thank you, that's the response I was looking for.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very stable, especially for such a new tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 58 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.5%
Back