Is SeaChem Matrix safe to use in a reef tank?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a bag of Sachem Pond Matrix , which to my knowledge is just larger version of Sachem Matrix. I was wondering if anyone is using it on their reefs, or if its even safe to use in the reef tanks?
I wouldn't want it to leach anything into my water.

If anyone has any experience with it please let me know.

Thanks again

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Its just porus rubble for biological filtration. Like you I thought it would leech bad things. But now I have matrix in my filtration and no issues. :)

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... good thing i saved mine since my FW days. I also just got a reply from Sachem
IMG_3755.PNG

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone run this in a reactor or do you just throw it in a mesh bag and drop it in the sump?

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be cool since you can slow down the flow through to use it in the reactor but there are better options . I think there is a company that makes an insert for a TLF reactor, it literally uses every millimeter of free space.

Mo-sachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread. I have tried searching for a more recent one. I apologize for the resurrection. I too am curious about the Pond Matrix. Does, or has anyone have a picture of where in the sump they have it? I have a 93g cube and 40g sump. I do not want not want to run a fuge any longer and am wondering if I can dump 2L of this stuff into my fuge area by itself, no sand or anything. Please advise. Thank you all in advance for the info. Stay safe.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread. I have tried searching for a more recent one. I apologize for the resurrection. I too am curious about the Pond Matrix. Does, or has anyone have a picture of where in the sump they have it? I have a 93g cube and 40g sump. I do not want not want to run a fuge any longer and am wondering if I can dump 2L of this stuff into my fuge area by itself, no sand or anything. Please advise. Thank you all in advance for the info. Stay safe.
It's just porous rock for bacteria to colonize. It won't effect anything except nitrification. Unlike a fuge which absorbs nutrients, this will add more surface area for bacteria.

And yes, you can add it to the fuge area. It just needs water to flow through.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Keep a bag in my fuge, it sounds like a good idea, but I would keep it in a mesh bags because that way it's easier to move and rinse when you need to clean off the detritus

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just porous rock for bacteria to colonize. It won't effect anything except nitrification. Unlike a fuge which absorbs nutrients, this will add more surface area for bacteria.

And yes, you can add it to the fuge area. It just needs water to flow through.

Matrix just like any other media can be used for both nitrification and denitrification. The flow rate you pass through it determines if the bacteria go aerobic or anaerobic or both. High flow is an environment for aerobic (nitrification), low flow for anaerobic (denitrification), and medium for mixed.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matrix just like any other media can be used for both nitrification and denitrification. The flow rate you pass through it determines if the bacteria go aerobic or anaerobic or both. High flow is an environment for aerobic (nitrification), low flow for anaerobic (denitrification), and medium for mixed.
Not sure I understand how flow impacts aerobic and anaerobic conditions? I thought that air or O2
determined that?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher flow means more of the o2 in water passes through the media. It's not that you are needing to have more o2.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher flow means more of the o2 in water passes through the media. It's not that you are needing to have more o2.
But you would for "denitrification" according to you. Except a DSB would slightly negate that. Though I'm thinking more of wet dry system.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the larger pond matrix is better suited to use regardless of flow ( just laying in sump), while regular matrix (smaller) is better suited for higher flow (in a reactor).

That is what Seachem says

Last edited:

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you would for "denitrification" according to you. Except a DSB would slightly negate that. Though I'm thinking more of wet dry system.

If you take a bunch of porous rock and pass a ton of flow through it will have more turbulance so more air gets trapped. Very little flow no turbulance. What determines if bacteria becomes aerobic or anaerobic is if it comes in contact with oxygen or not. Fish only systems don't tend to care about nitrate and just the fastest form of nitrification possible which is why a wet dry is king.

A simple experiment is to take something like a marine pure block that is seeded and put it in different flow areas. If you were to put it in a very high flow area you will notice your nitrates start to creep up and up with no end in sight if you don't have other means of efficiently exporting the nitrate that fast. Then once you have the high no3 take that same block and put it now in the same tank but on a very low flow area. After 24 hours you will notice the no3 start to go down and even faster if you feed the now anaerobic bacteria with a carbon source.

Taking it a step further you can get two blocks, one in high flow area and another in the low flow area. If you feed a lot you will notice that your no3 will start to creep up if you do not provide a carbon food source for the anaerobic bacteria in the low flow area. Once you start feeding carbon the rate of denitrification will keep up with the rate of nitrification and you get a balance. A refugium is a good source of denitrification but it is considerably slower than a source of anaerobic bacteria being supplied with a carbon food source. The refugium would have to be truly gigantic for it to be able to compete with a small porous block designed for housing bacteria.

Back