Is the Vertex Cerebra the future of aquarium controllers?

What next-generation controller are you planning on getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to tell me to buy a kindle fire, I'd have preferred that to be a part of the original package or better yet a model that doesn't require work around to get full screen viewing running.

There is no workaround needed to get full screen on the Fire tablet. I have full screen working on it using the Silk Browser. I know Dolphin as mentioned in the original video but that was because full screen was disabled in Silk many months back.. An assumption was made that it was still disabled but that is no longer the case. You can get full screen from Silk without any trickery or work arounds.

That said, I do understand your contention regarding having a display. Like you said, not everybody has a smart phone or perhaps a computer. That said, most do and to add in additional costs when the masses already have a suitable display/control device at their disposal whether it's a smart phone, tablet or a computer doesn't make a lot of sense if it adds to the cost. Especially when a Fire tablet can be had for anywhere from $35 to $50. And for the record, I much prefer to program any controller from the comfort of my couch or desk then sitting on the floor in front of my fish tank using a 5.5" or even 7" screen. Having used aquarium controllers for 20 years, a computer is a much more comfortable and efficient place to program a controller as well as to back up your programming. For me a display is something I use for quick reference of parameters which is important to me too.

Given that I am a long time hobbyist and also involved in the aquarium industry both from custom tank installs and other stuff, I bought a Cerebra which should arrive today. I already have an Apex on my system that I have used since they first were released several years ago. I also have a Profilux 3 on my system. Both of which I really like. I figured I might as well get to know the Cerebra since I will inevitably be supporting them whether on a customers tank or helping a customer control their RD3 0-10v pump. Plus having one also helps feed the tech junkie in me. As such, I felt it would be prudent to have one for testing and general knowledge. For better or worse, it will certainly be interesting.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a computer is a much more comfortable and efficient place to program a controller as well as to back up your programming. For me a display is something I use for quick reference of parameters which is important to me too.

Ditto what this smart guy said. ;)

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no workaround needed to get full screen on the Fire tablet. I have full screen working on it using the Silk Browser. I know Dolphin as mentioned in the original video but that was because full screen was disabled in Silk many months back.. An assumption was made that it was still disabled but that is no longer the case. You can get full screen from Silk without any trickery or work arounds.

That said, I do understand your contention regarding having a display. Like you said, not everybody has a smart phone or perhaps a computer. That said, most do and to add in additional costs when the masses already have a suitable display/control device at their disposal whether it's a smart phone, tablet or a computer doesn't make a lot of sense if it adds to the cost. Especially when a Fire tablet can be had for anywhere from $35 to $50. And for the record, I much prefer to program any controller from the comfort of my couch or desk then sitting on the floor in front of my fish tank using a 5.5" or even 7" screen. Having used aquarium controllers for 20 years, a computer is a much more comfortable and efficient place to program a controller as well as to back up your programming. For me a display is something I use for quick reference of parameters which is important to me too.

Given that I am a long time hobbyist and also involved in the aquarium industry both from custom tank installs and other stuff, I bought a Cerebra which should arrive today. I already have an Apex on my system that I have used since they first were released several years ago. I also have a Profilux 3 on my system. Both of which I really like. I figured I might as well get to know the Cerebra since I will inevitably be supporting them whether on a customers tank or helping a customer control their RD3 0-10v pump. Plus having one also helps feed the tech junkie in me. As such, I felt it would be prudent to have one for testing and general knowledge. For better or worse, it will certainly be interesting.
Slief, where is your review of the cerebra (so far what is available on youtube are crappy far away videos)?
We all need an in depth review already...lol

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slief, where is your review of the cerebra (so far what is available on youtube are crappy far away videos)?
We all need an in depth review already...lol
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be doing any public reviews as I really can't be objective without creating conflicts of interest. Also, because of some of my industry ties, people might question my integrity or honesty depending on my stance. As such, I will leave the reviews to others with less industry related ties than I have as well as to those who can do so without conflict while I try to maintain as neutral a position as humanly possible. My purpose for buying this controller was not to compare one controller to the next. I already know/knew what to expect. My purpose wasn't even to run my system on it as I already have that covered. It was more to learn (and test) another controller knowing well that I would eventually have to support somebody using one or help a customer with one whether that was a Royal Exclusiv customer or a local hobbyist customer. Beyond that, my thirst for knowledge and technology dictates that I know as much about the different technologies within this hobby as humanly possible.

Anyhow, it arrived. Here are a few pictures. Not sure where I am going to put this thing once I get it home as it creates certain real-estate issues for me given my limited space due to all the aquarium clutter spread about my system. That is something I will just have to figure out later today.

image_zpserbnctyv.jpeg

For size reference, that power bar is sitting on a 4U 19" rack mount server I build.
image_zpso5isuxvb.jpeg

image_zps4738qhrl.jpeg

Last edited:

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cerebra setup now. As I said above, I will not be providing any reviews. Especially since I didn't buy this controller for review purposes but instead to get familiar with it. As such, I will be keeping my thoughts to myself. Finding a place for it was a challenge since all my controllers are pretty much out of site and out of mind other than the displays. I was however able to find a spot for it below my display refugium.

Cerebra and Proflilux touch display on my display refugium.
image_zpsdftffvvq.jpeg

image_zpsj5btvhq2.jpeg

Profilux 3.1T ex ultimate.
image_zpsy7azaozz.jpeg

And my trusty Apex display that will soon be replaced with the 7 Fire Tablet once my flush mount bezzle is done after which the display will be relocated to my life support shed to and used to monitor stuff in there.
image_zpszxezm33r.jpeg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Love how you're using your hat holder as a filter sock dryer! Great idea. Very nice system btw. If you wouldn't mind, could you post a link to the 7 Fire Tablet you are going to use for the Apex display? I've been wanting to switch out my old smartphone that I've been using for Apex display for something a little bigger. Thanks!

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Love how you're using your hat holder as a filter sock dryer! Great idea. Very nice system btw. If you wouldn't mind, could you post a link to the 7 Fire Tablet you are going to use for the Apex display? I've been wanting to switch out my old smartphone that I've been using for Apex display for something a little bigger. Thanks!
Here you go. It was on sale on prime day for $35. It's back to its normal $49 price which is still a bargain for a 7" touch screen tablet that can be used as a dedicated controller interface.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/dp/B00TSUGXKE?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

It feels good to know there more aquarium controller addicts out there :)
Given my background and involvement in the hobby both as a hobbyist and as somebody who does high end installations coupled with my affiliation with Royal Exclsuiv, I make it my business to know the different controllers out there. Especially given that I support products connected to these controllers. Kind of a necessary evil. On the flip side, I've been running aquarium controllers for over 20 years now and I do enjoy playing with different technology. I am however very selective in what controllers I would trust my aquarium to.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would spend $50 more and get a 10" screen tablet.
I recently upgraded from a 7" to a Lenovo 10.1" android tablet and the only thing I regret is not doing it earlier.
In my case, I am space limited as it needs to fit between the door frame. On the other hand, I use the the display for viewing parameters. I don't use it for any control functions other than hitting the feed button to spot feed the fish. For me use, the 7" display is perfect and serves the purpose just fine.

image_zpsjskloov2.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing!

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make the same.mistake as the OP: "But with six years of development you'd think Vertex would come up with something better than this" yet you have no idea how well "this" operates. All you know is what it looks like and that its Android based. Neither render it useless. An honest reviewer would at least put the thing through its paces before condemning it. Is that too much to expect?

Hey Ace, Just checking to see how you like your Cerebra so far?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't end up getting it. I cancelled my order. My tank has gone sideways on me and I want to figure it out before devoting a bunch of time playing with a new controller.

TriedAndProven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chickened out on my Cerebra pre-order as well and decided to get the new Apex. I realize they had some hardware issues due to Chinese manufacturer shadiness, but that seems to be fixed and the Apex platform on a whole is pretty proven at this point. Using my tank as an advanced beta testing platform just made less and less sense to me.

I'm super interested to see where the Cerebra is in a year or two though.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted a new toy. My tanks have been Apex controlled since 2010. Its a system I know and trust. That said, I'd love to see the Cerebral succeed. Competition drives innovation.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to see something new and ground breaking too. That part of the market needs to be shaken up. Its just if the next thing to come along is ill-conceived it doesn't make much sense to root for it or spend your money on it.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard nothing but good things about the customer service. There's a guy on our local forum that had nothing but problems. The unit kept crashing among other things. They had him reflash the unit a couple times to no avail.
He asked to return it and Vertex approved it. When he started the process with a sponsor here they tried to refuse it and Vertex straightened it out for him. I think that says a lot about them.

I still think they're in over their heads with this. Hopefully they can work through this and maybe in a few more years version 2 or 3 will be a viable option for the masses.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard nothing but good things about the customer service. There's a guy on our local forum that had nothing but problems. The unit kept crashing among other things. They had him reflash the unit a couple times to no avail.
He asked to return it and Vertex approved it. When he started the process with a sponsor here they tried to refuse it and Vertex straightened it out for him. I think that says a lot about them.

I still think they're in over their heads with this. Hopefully they can work through this and maybe in a few more years version 2 or 3 will be a viable option for the masses.

I can tell you for sure it wasn't us that tried to refuse it. Vertex called us about this problem before we even knew about the issue so we were ready to take care of him before he even contacted us. Perhaps you are referring to a different vendor. If that's the case then disregard my comments. I just want anyone thinking is was Aquarium Specialty...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back