Is the Vertex Cerebra the future of aquarium controllers?

What next-generation controller are you planning on getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you for sure it wasn't us that tried to refuse it. Vertex called us about this problem before we even knew about the issue so we were ready to take care of him before he even contacted us. Perhaps you are referring to a different vendor. If that's the case then disregard my comments. I just want anyone thinking is was Aquarium Specialty...

I'm not trying to call anyone out here or get into a "he said she said". I don't have any direct knowledge of the correspondence, just info from 1/3rd of the parties involved from posts on another forum. Nothing more.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one also. I agree. Got it configured which took multiple tries as it kept.locking out. When I finally get it configured it would only stay on line about 1 hour at a time and then have to start over. After 3 days of that I just pulled it out and put in an Apex unit. Can't even find anyone that will give me $50 for the old unit to even play with it. If something isn't done to correct the problems it will become trash in the next 60 days.

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh yea you two need to check the vertex forums. and lets try to remember you bought a beta, both of those issues have resolutions so sounds as if you didnt care to try, dont know how id try alot harder with that much money in the game. anywho those who have the cerebra and wanna talk about it badly were not in it to beta test but your welcome for the check the forum tip cuz i guarentee it will change your tune. if you still want 50 bucks sharvey ill gladly take it off your hands.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my brick a few weeks ago. They are taking to long to get the bugs worked out on this product. I'm getting an Apex . I imagine we will see a lot of used controllers for sale very soon. They are nice, however they don't do what they said they would do.

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does everything i need reliably. i had issues but i took the effort to work through them. its a beta what part of beta implies flawless out of the box? oh well ya'lls loss, anyone wanting out at a whatever i can get price is nuts imo.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They worked on this project for six years. Before they released the Beta units, and this is how far they have come. Have they gotten the cloud problem worked out? That really should have been working before they were ever released. With out it the unit is pretty basic. You have to phisically check the unit if you want to see the temp or ph. Or any other feature it's montering . Sure there is always a few people who rush to say my unit works great, you knew it was a beta unit. Which is true,however we will be comming up on a year for these units Far more people are unhappy than or happy. In my opinion these units were released to soon. I also think they were released to help fund research for these units. Not to mention the closed forum to help keep all the problems and complainants contained. Also the sales video they released which said you don't need a manual. That was a joke, to be sure the unit can do all sorts of things. It's just not reliable, not to mention it's way behind it's competors. Finally please don't insult those of us who are not happy with this product. By saying you knew it was a Beta unit. Asif it's our own fault it doesn't work and that we should grin and bear it and be happy. With our expensive power bar.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the vertex forum:

Dear Cerebra Club Member,
While years in the making, it has only been a short few months since announcing the “Cerebra Open Beta Release”.
Designing a product presents multitude of challenges. The design team must conceptualize what the potential user entails as well as all other necessary features and functions while maintaining the brand’s vision of such device. This becomes more so difficult with an industry-first innovative platform where the said features and functions are non-existent at the time. With your help and dedication and through the “Cerebra Club Forum” we have gained invaluable insights into what a true Aquarium controller could be. One that operates flawlessly, stands the test of time and sets itself apart by becoming a source of much needed information in reef keeping. Not Just a controller but a Reef Keeper’s Assistant!
Our mandate with Cerebra has always been clear; as it should manage an Aquatic biotope’s tasks, integrate your hobby into your life style and bring all your Aquarium equipment and its components under one “virtual roof”. While we feel many of these objectives have been and can be further achieved; we also realize technological advancements of the past few years have brought about myriad of possibilities outside the realm of the current hardware’s compatibility.
So without further ado; we are happy to introduce to you the “New Cerebra”. We have employed the latest technologies with large existing user base that fits our mutual vision of Cerebra. With that said; not only we have retooled the Power/Sensor arrays (PowerBar/MultiBar) but also the Cerebra itself.
When designing the current Cerebra, utilizing earlier version of Android (2.0), we had many concerns with the platform that are no longer. Android with its current large user base has perfected itself in ways beyond our dreams when we started to walk on this path.
Considering all that the new “Cerebra” will be delivered with:
Android 7
extremely stable platform used by over 10,000,000
ability to download Android APPs without the need for modification by Vertex or other
Manufactures
MultiBars and PowerBars reduced considerably in size
form/function of the head unit changed with aggrieve reduction is size
true USB communication allowing off the shelf devices as well as upwards compatibility
more emphasis on optional onboard wireless communication with Auxiliary devices (if desired)
even more onboard I/O, 0-10V and other Aquarium Control Capabilities out of the box
HDMI onboard and remote Camera Possibilities
Blue Tooth and Wi-Fi onboard with no need for Auxiliary Dongles
All this will remove the need for Custom Cerebra Specific APPs bringing us closer to realizing our objective; “All components under one Virtual roof”. The new Cerebra will allow most of the current native Android APPs from other Aquarium manufacturers to be directly uploaded for true seamless control with no need for intermediary Modules. In the weeks to come we will share with you more exciting news and events and continue to solicit you for your invaluable insights, ideas and recommendations to perfect Cerebra. Suffice it to say; without your dedication and help none of this would have been possible. Since its inception, Vertex adopted; “Realization of Modern Aquaria” as its motto and core DNA. Such motto has created an unparalleled bond to and made us humbled by our early adopter’s confidence in ourvision.

With that said, we are happy to announce that all current Cerebra Club members will receive the new Cerebra at no extra cost.

An industry-first event to ensure we truly deserve your confidence enabling Vertex to continue to walk its path of; Realization of Modern Aquaria.

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First its only been out for half a year. you are compairing a established product in a nich to a first gen release beta lets not get all upset about the word beta. you should have some level of grin and bear it, you bought a beta to be part of a tester group. if you bought it because of price with no intentions of participating thats no ones fault but your own and definately not on me for bringing it up when you want to bash it. Vertex is releasing gen 2 and replacing all gen 1 beta units at no cost. you can doomsday glass half empty the scenario all you want bottom line it is a beta, you bought a beta, and you act like Vertex let you down when really its the other way around as you did not actively participate

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Yes part of what you said is true. However we are all have a right to our own opinion . I just ask that you respect our opinion . As we respect yours. And yes I was active when I had the unit. I really wanted it to work as I really liked the unit. Finally we have evidence that there are serious problems with the units. As mentioned above they are replacing the old units free of charge. Which in my opinion is great customer service. I look forward to seeing them working in the future.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll GLADLY buy your (or anyone's) Cerebra set up for $50!

Andreass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many here who are critical to the vertex`s new product and how you shelves apex and I must honestly admit that i dont trust the apex anymore and they tell us that they have the best and most safe product on the marked.

I got my apex in July 2016 and after i got it as i had fire in cable to one of my wav pumps and then shorted the module so all my pumps stopped and i dident get eny message or that there was no massage in fusion, Dos that does not take up balling and last but not least i had trouble with dual reservoir so the apex is not flawlessly, I can attest that it is not .. anyone who has been in the game for a long time knows that vertex delivers quality products just look at their vertex Illumina. used my Illumina for 6 years without a single problem and nothing has stop. people needs to give vertex time and im sure the cerebra will be a great product

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh yea you two need to check the vertex forums. and lets try to remember you bought a beta, both of those issues have resolutions so sounds as if you didnt care to try, dont know how id try alot harder with that much money in the game. anywho those who have the cerebra and wanna talk about it badly were not in it to beta test but your welcome for the check the forum tip cuz i guarentee it will change your tune. if you still want 50 bucks sharvey ill gladly take it off your hands.
I agree, I'll pay $50 for it.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First its only been out for half a year. you are compairing a established product in a nich to a first gen release beta lets not get all upset about the word beta. you should have some level of grin and bear it, you bought a beta to be part of a tester group. if you bought it because of price with no intentions of participating thats no ones fault but your own and definately not on me for bringing it up when you want to bash it. Vertex is releasing gen 2 and replacing all gen 1 beta units at no cost. you can doomsday glass half empty the scenario all you want bottom line it is a beta, you bought a beta, and you act like Vertex let you down when really its the other way around as you did not actively participate

+2

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine running my SPS tank since they were released, got it from BRS in the first phase of the release. I haven't had any issues with disconnects or freezes. I have it dosing two part, controlling my lighting schedule, 1-10v icecap module for my gyre, and a few other time based rules (turning on skimmer during the middle of the day for 6 hours for example).

Pretty happy with it. I had a few complaints that I listed here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/big-and-loud-controller-comparison-thread.285837/#post-3475583) were addressed with the latest update from Vertex. Very happy, hope the new design is a lot more attractive.

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Apex controllers and one Cerebra... I like them both.

The Cerebra is super easy to work with and I like the ability to use Apex code to make custom functions. I don't like the size of the Cerebra and I hate the look of the newest Apex units... but I think both are pretty awesome overall.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where is everyone standing on the Cerebra...?

Just waiting...?

Last edited:
Back