Is this bryopsis?

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with bryopsis so I am wondering if this is it?
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also appear to have cyanobacteria and possibly dinoflagellates. Do you use Rodi when making your saltwater and do you do water changes, if so how much and often? What are your tank parameters?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so mine looks like very dense dark green moss balls, you can not blow it away with a turkey baster

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank looks very young I would just let it go through the ugly phase before you try and "fix" anything

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more than one strain/variety of bryopsis. Mine actually looked like hair algae unless you look real close. Of you pull some out and put it in a dish, add some hydrogen peroxide on it and it turns white - it is green hair algae. If not I would say it is a form of bryopsis. In either case the thread posted will help :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so mine looks like very dense dark green moss balls, you can not blow it away with a turkey baster
Go to the thread I posted. It contains a true miracle for bryopsis! Mine is G O N E. And don't forget to bring your dancing shoes, your going to need them lol

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also appear to have cyanobacteria and possibly dinoflagellates. Do you use Rodi when making your saltwater and do you do water changes, if so how much and often? What are your tank parameters?

I do use RO/DI water and try to change my water every week sometimes a go a couple weeks without a water change. I had to move my tank about 6 months ago. Before the move I had a huge cyano problem but after the move I thought I got it pretty under control. Would you mind describing what looks like cyano as well as dinoflagellates so I can take a look at it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use RO/DI water and try to change my water every week sometimes a go a couple weeks without a water change. I had to move my tank about 6 months ago. Before the move I had a huge cyano problem but after the move I thought I got it pretty under control. Would you mind describing what looks like cyano as well as dinoflagellates so I can take a look at it.
Ok. Sorry it took so long for me to reply I was babysitting my three month old granddaughter.

When you moved did you disturb or stir up the sand bed, reuse without thoroughly rinsing it? How long did the sand sit if you drained the tank, left sand and rock in place before refilling it if this is how you moved it? One of the issues that this can cause is dinoflagellates, if not in water a couple of hours or more you would have had microorganism and bacterial died off of the live sand and rocks. The brown on your sandbed looks to be the beginning of dinoflagellates . Hopefully not but it looks like it to me in the pictures.
Cyano:
1st pic- lower left
2nd pic- upper left
3rd pic- center
What is your no3?

Just trying to help ;)

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Sorry it took so long for me to reply I was babysitting my three month old granddaughter.

When you moved did you disturb or stir up the sand bed, reuse without thoroughly rinsing it? How long did the sand sit if you drained the tank, left sand and rock in place before refilling it if this is how you moved it? One of the issues that this can cause is dinoflagellates, if a couple of hours or more you would have had microorganism and bacterial died off of the live sand and rocks. The brown on your sandbed looks to be the beginning of dinoflagellates . Hopefully not but it looks like it to me in the pictures.
Cyano:
1st pic- lower left
2nd pic- upper left
3rd pic- center
What is your no3?

Just trying to help ;)

I actually replaced the sand bed by kept all of my rock submerged. Long story short, there was a gap between the end of my old lease and the start of my new one so I had my fish and rock in 2 holding tanks for a couple months so I ended up replacing the sand when I re-set up the DT. I haven't checked my nitrates in a week or 2 but last time I checked they were 0. And I see what you are talking about with the cyano but that is actually coralline. It didn't come out very good in the picture. My phosphates were a bit high last time I checked but I haven't tested them in a little while. What do the dinoflagellates look like exactly?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a brown dusting or coating on the sb and as it gets thicker it'll get bubbles on/in it. If you just set this back up in the last couple of months it could also be diatoms from cycling and will go away.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back