Is zerowater really 0 TDS?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw a commercial for it and it compelled me to see if anyone has actually tested it before. If so and it does, how?!

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, TDS is not a very good way to test ultra pure water. I think the ZeroWater TDS meter is biased heavily to show their water trading 0 TDS. There was a reviewer on the web that says their tap water read 40 on the ZeroWater TDS meter, this is probably a very low false reading.

Second, it is not advisable to ever drink ultra pure water (true 0 TDS), it can cause hyponatremia. It would be very unwise for any water filter company to ever sell ultra pure water for consumption. The exact opposite is true for our tanks, we want ultra pure water to avoid accumulation of impurities.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can produce 0 TDS water for a short time depending on the tap water quality. The problem is the amount of media is very limited so they don't last very long and can get real expensive real quick for replacements. The supplied TDS meter is a standard low end non ATC temperature compensated handheld meter but works pretty good given its limitations. I do not believe they alter or doctor it in any way. As far as drinking ultrapure water, if thats what you want, go for it. You could not possibly drink enough to do yourself harm. Pure water is pretty bland or blah though since it is the minerals that give it its refreshing taste.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that makes sense. given a diet exlusive to ro di i can see issues, but we get minerals from so many other places i think the kidneys/hormone balancers w parse them out just fine. I myself chug distilled water for topoff when other sources are low lol. I specifically thought of desertaz rat when this commercial came on this morning before work. my main question was how are they getting that through the filter without rear end pressure, i guess mere weight of water alone in that pitcher system wicks it on through.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main media is DI resin or similar. It has a very limited capacity so does not last long nor work for every contaminant.
You could drink all the RO/DI you desire and not have issues. We don't get our minerals from water we drink, its in our solid foods. The WHO has been trying to prove drinking DI or distilled is bad for you for decades and it has never been conclusive since we cannot live on water alone and eating even one potato chip replaces much more than is stripped out of many many gallons of water.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie I thought about buying it at Walmart and returning it saying there was no meter. Slap on wrist. Lol I hope God doesn't judge what goes through my head and only what things I allow out!

Back