OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is full. Still no signs of leaking. I think to be safe, I will leave it full for a week. I want to see how it does with expansion and contraction in the heat of the day and cool of the night. This is what I should have done with my old 150g nightmare.

The only water drops I see are from the stand pipes cuz they aren't glued in. Bulkheads are sound.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far Jackie!

Thank you Chris! I am SO excited about getting this tank up and running! Right after I took the last picture we had severe thunderstorms, so now there's water all down inside the frame. Lol guess now I have to wait for it to dry out but I think it's fine.

I will be so happy to settle in with one tank and just add eye candy with my money!

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished making the last of the extra large rocks. I've also made a couple of arches, a cave and a large shelf with plug holes in it. The rest will all be random stacking rocks and a few more flat shelves. Then in for cycling they go. I figure that will be by the end of this week. Oh yeah, and I will be making a column or 2. One for return and the other a half broken column for looks and to place a shelf.

I still haven't found anybody to drill the tank :( Oh well. I guess I'll just have to add another HOB overflow. I think just a single. This way it will have 3" of drain and 24" surface skim area. More than enough... and I might just disguise it all with a living rock wall. The only issue I worry about with a basically solid wall is build up of the nasties behind it. So I'll be thinking more on this the next few days.

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank.
Can't wait to see it full if fish and coral .
Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the 55g sump tank outside today to use for cycling the rock. Rodi water making in progress and yes I'm still making rocks lol! It's a slow process when only a few can be made at a time. I am getting pretty creative in the process though....

The 180g is still not leaking and temps outside today was 90°deg. Night time temps in the 60s. I am wondering if I should cover the tank however. Due to sun on the seams and tree debris.

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Jackie, first time I've stumbled into your build thread here. Loving your DIY Rocks and flexible plans from the beginning on both the DT and Sump/Fuge. Drilling the glass is not really to difficult if you use a 'Drill Guide' like this one from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide and many sources for diamond hole saws just make sure to have bulkheads before drilling to get/use correct size.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Jackie, first time I've stumbled into your build thread here. Loving your DIY Rocks and flexible plans from the beginning on both the DT and Sump/Fuge. Drilling the glass is not really to difficult if you use a 'Drill Guide' like this one from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide and many sources for diamond hole saws just make sure to have bulkheads before drilling to get/use correct size.

Cheers, Todd

Thank you Todd :) I am just so paranoid that I'll mess up some how and crack the glass never having drilled glass at all before.

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock weighs about 50lbs!
It is 19" tall x 13"wide x 8" deep. Lol I wanted something to tower in the tank that I could attach coral too. I think this will do!
uploadfromtaptalk1399669854308.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399669864049.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399669875966.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399669854308.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399669864049.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399669875966.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job on everything. I really like your rock! you'll feel very proud of this when it's up and running given that you created all that rock yourself!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job on everything. I really like your rock! you'll feel very proud of this when it's up and running given that you created all that rock yourself!

Thank you! Yeah, I'm getting more and more excited as I get these pieces made and want this tank up and running! But I keep having to remind myself to be patient :) One of the returns is also going to be hidden in a column that I am making the same way. I may even make a ledged rock wall for the overflow end of this tank . I'm really having a lot of fun with it :D

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I ordered a Jebao DC12000 return pump and another WP40 for this tank. Still deciding on doing the baffles in the 55g sump with acrylic or glass. Acrylic would cost me about $25 where glass would be around $40.

Meanwhile I'm continuing to make rock and doing water changes. PH coming down very little due to that I'm adding pieces to it daily. I'll be quitting by the end of this week regardless of how much I have done. This stuff needs to cure by July 1st (I'm hoping). Glenn will be home for the 4th so we're wanting to set the tank up then together.

I also purchased a uv for the tank and ATM is installed in the 125g. Just had to see it work ;)

Jackie

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back