Japanese Deepwater Zoanthids.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A link was brought to my (and other people's) attention about "Japanese "deep water" zoanthids"<--notice all the "s :)

The Japanese Deepwater Zoanthid Craze Pt. 2 <-- the article.

I'm sure it's a well known one since you'll probably recognize the person who took the photographs.

It brings up several interesting points... The points were basically brought out in a recent post (which I won't mention). I think it may be wise for everybody to read the article for their own reference/knowledge of the hobby based on this quote from the article "Today, the term “Japanese Deepwater†may just be marketing to describe a type of coral–however the legal and price implications of this branding have allowed sellers to make extreme mark ups where they are not warranted"

The article basically states that Japanese deepwater zoanthids are probably not too likely in the hobby. The reasons?

*Shipping from Japan would be crazy expensive.
*Diving permits are a pain in the butt in Japan.
*REAL "deep water" zoanthids are generally ugly (probably brown/green).

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe wow.... that thing started in 2008 :) it smelled like old moth balls.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there were something else to discuss, then I would agree. Nothing in the past year has changed. It's still fairly in agreement that it's just marketing from wholesalers.

It's apparently still a tactic..and new people are coming into the hobby all the time. No reason to not bring it back up bro.

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it made a difference, then I would agree it's a tactic. They don't really sell for anything more.

Vendors are just selling what they are sold. Some stuff that is sold as Aussie is also not Aussie.

Here I'll help the newer members.
Let me google that for you

Last edited:

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a rest already ...I'm so sick of seeing threads on topics that's been beaten to death.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The topic has been discussed so many times on so many different forums including this one, just saying.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the points been made that some of you are sick of being reminded. Its amazing how you can move right on past the thread and not post anything and you can go on with life. Maybe someone else will find the info interesting to read that missed it elsewhere. Keep in mind you are not the only ones reading the information. There are some good Links here for people to read. I dont see anymore good coming out of this thread.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's apparently still a tactic..and new people are coming into the hobby all the time. No reason to not bring it back up bro.

Please explain the tactic? Specifically how calling something Japanese and Deep-Water is better marketing than Tongan Wildfire Zoa (not in terms of local, but how something labeled Japan deep water is inherently superior (marketing wise) to something labeled as Tongan with a name attached)

badger126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people for some reason think that "Japanese Deepwaters" are a big deal. In the year that I've been in the hobby now I've met 3 or 4 people like this trying to sell me their zoas. I haven't bought any, but I do thank the OP for bringing this topic back up. It was not something I would have searched for on the forums or googled, but it is good information, regardless if more experienced people have read about it before.

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me if a Zoa looks nice then I buy it. I can care less where it's from!

That goes with any coral. You guys exaggerate and make foolish arguments over names people pull out of their butt. Tyree toilet bowl toadstool? Sounds stupid and is stupid if you ask me. People just make up names not only to describe corals but, to also jack up the coral market pricing.

Show the op respect and let his thread be posted for others to respectfully respond. If you don't like what he posts then it's best you stay out.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Please explain the tactic? Specifically how calling something Japanese and Deep-Water is better marketing than Tongan Wildfire Zoa (not in terms of local, but how something labeled Japan deep water is inherently superior (marketing wise) to something labeled as Tongan with a name attached)

Coral from Japan is rare. With all of the regulations and cost associated with permits to actually obtaining a "deepwater" species, it just doesn't happen very often.

By vendors and sellers claiming they are receiving these coral from a place that is traditionally nearly impossible to export from, the prices are marked accordingly. It is similar to lineage - but nobody is willing to provide this lineage as of yet. It is unethical, IMO, that these vendors and sellers come on here and say "Look, TRUE Japanese Deepwater Zoas!" IF you really got them from Japan, they were probably obtained illegally, presenting yet another issue. If not, then you are falsely advertising something and trying to increase the price based on false pretense. That is where my issue lies.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Give it a rest already ...I'm so sick of seeing threads on topics that's been beaten to death.

Then maybe don't participate? Negativity will do nothing but get this shut down - I'd prefer to keep it open and help all of the new people that show up to R2R and maybe haven't seen the dead horse yet.

The bigger issue is that vendors/sellers are trying to raise pricing based on a name. You don't have an issue with that? You are fine with them either lying or potentially selling illegally harvested coral?

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titles, Collection Locations, Legal / Illegally Harvested it is always a topic and will never go away.

Names
True Red People Eaters - What is a True RPE - Do we have to request paper work to say that we have true RPE
Tyree anything - unless you buy directly from Steve, how can you know you have True Tyree.

Country of Origin
Aussie - If they were collected in International Water or near by Small Island Countries and not in the Waters around " Aussie ".

Trade Embargo Countries
Getting Corals through Canada from Countries that the USA will not / can not deal with directly.
What do we call this ?

We can sit here all day and complain about what ever,
I argue enough with my Wife about my Hobby.

Where ever they come from,
What ever they are called,

If, You like them
Then Buy them,

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some people are okay helping an illegal exportation of corals by purchasing them (IF they are truly from Japan, they are most likely exported illegally, no matter how many times they changed hands).

An analogy - Are you ok buying electronics that are second hand stolen? If you aren't buying it from the guy who stole it, it's okay, then, right?

Tyree has corals that are typically pretty easily identified. And the majority of people selling coral as a Tyree LE, are honest - period. People that lie about lineage don't typically last too long as reputable sellers.

Back