Jeabo is taking over

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing about tunze is they dont need customer service...they just keep working (they do have great CS though).

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“As competition intensifies, the need for creative thinking increases. It is no longer enough to do the same thing better . . . no longer enough to be efficient and solve problems” — Edward de
Bono

Jebao isn't taking over, they may be hurting some bottom lines out there, but not taking over. Maybe the competition is intensifying...

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think those $400 to $500 pumps are being hand made in the US with better made products? Same stuff made by the same Chinese manufactures. Box states assembled in USA not made in USA. How do you think they copied the product? It may be because they were contracted to mass produce the product. And really how much R and D goes into making a magnetic driven pump? R&D was done many years ago. As far as cheap parts they all use cheap parts. Plastic is plastic. Magnets are magnets. solder is solder copper is copper. There are some differences in firmware but that does not justify the massive cost increase. So with that being said I would much rather my $80 pump fail as opposed to a $500 pump. I am not naming brands because apparently they are sponsors my last post on this topic was deleted. My point is that you dont need to buy into the HYPE. There are other options out there. Yeah if your a millionaire and can drop a grand on 2 power heads go for it. I would rather put that grand into live stock. I will have $over $800 worth of coral to your 2 overpriced power heads. I am in this hobby for the Corals and having a beautiful tank not to keep up with the jones on equipment.

No, I don't think they are hand made in the USA, barely anything is anymore. I wouldn't even compare Jaebo to Vortech because they are totally different. Jaebo copied TUNZE and put a Ecotech sounding name on it. Tunze is made in Germany. Plastic is plastic but there are low quality and high quality magnets and amateur and professional soldering and low quality and high quality way of sealing the parts from water damage. Fit and finish, quality of shafts and R&D is what I'm mostly thinking of. Flagrant copying is also immoral and one of the reasons the Chinese own half the US. I for one don't buy into the hype, I try to buy quality products when I can even if it costs a little more. Your tone is extremely defensive so obviously I hit nerve. Jaebo pumps might be a fine cheap pump, but don't think for a second they match the quality of a Vortech or Tunze.

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's put it like this.

Ecotech vortech: Lexus, Imani suits, caviar dining

Jebao: honda, walmart suits, mcdonalds

They do the same thing, minus the fancy bells and whistles. Services are always better with price. In the end the job gets done

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think they are hand made in the USA, barely anything is anymore. I wouldn't even compare Jaebo to Vortech because they are totally different. Jaebo copied TUNZE and put a Ecotech sounding name on it. Tunze is made in Germany. Plastic is plastic but there are low quality and high quality magnets and amateur and professional soldering and low quality and high quality way of sealing the parts from water damage. Fit and finish, quality of shafts and R&D is what I'm mostly thinking of. Flagrant copying is also immoral and one of the reasons the Chinese own half the US. I for one don't buy into the hype, I try to buy quality products when I can even if it costs a little more. Your tone is extremely defensive so obviously I hit nerve. Jaebo pumps might be a fine cheap pump, but don't think for a second they match the quality of a Vortech or Tunze.

+1 Great Points

thesaltysnailer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak from experience on jaebo products since I use vortech and tunze but my thoughts are this.... I can't believe so many people are going out and buying the jaebo dosing pumps. It just released and there's no long term proof on how reliable it is. Most of have hundreds if not thousands invested in live stock not to mention the time we put in to keep it all alive. Is it really worth saving a few hundred dollars and risk an overdose or something catastrophic? Or spend a little more and buy something that's proved to be reliable. There's no way I would risk all the time and money I have put into my tank with a cheap doser. I would rather dose manually and save money for a decent one. But to be fair only time will tell how good the jaebo doser is. For all I know it could be the next big thing. For now I won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today that Jaebo actually has Eco-tech written on the box of their DC pumps. They have no shame in their attempts to ride on the backs of an honest American company. Ecotech is just like Apple. Their philosophy is the same and that's why people line up to buy their products. Yes the vortech is in the same league as the iPhone and that's why thieves will try to steal its technology. Maybe if we all buy jaebos that'll drive those greedy ecotech guys right out of business. That'll teach em. Oh but then who will create innovative new products for our tanks? Not your precious chinese. Good luck with your continued patronage of china, I'm sure supporting the thieves that steal the intellectual property of American entrepreneurs who INVENT products to better our tanks will lead to a better tank and a better America.

thesaltysnailer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only thousands but some like the rollers 10's of thousands on coral . Weekend fix of 200-500$ on corals :eek:
Very true, and no matter what we currently have invested it's only going to go up because u can never have enough lol.

Also imo the argument that you can't afford something in the hobby is bs. I don't mean that to sound insensitive but it comes down to patients. If you save $5 a week that's $240 saved in 12 months. That's a brand new mp10. You may not be able to buy it when you want it but you can do it with patients. Also you can always sell a few frags to help fund your purchase as well. When I built my tanks I didn't start with vortechs with all the bells and whistles, couldn't afford it. Over time I upgraded 1 pump at a time to finally get the equipment I wanted. I started with maxijets lol!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak from experience on jaebo products since I use vortech and tunze but my thoughts are this.... I can't believe so many people are going out and buying the jaebo dosing pumps. It just released and there's no long term proof on how reliable it is. Most of have hundreds if not thousands invested in live stock not to mention the time we put in to keep it all alive. Is it really worth saving a few hundred dollars and risk an overdose or something catastrophic? Or spend a little more and buy something that's proved to be reliable. There's no way I would risk all the time and money I have put into my tank with a cheap doser. I would rather dose manually and save money for a decent one. But to be fair only time will tell how good the jaebo doser is. For all I know it could be the next big thing. For now I won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Some people love testing out new equipment AKA "early adopters". Some people love to save money at all cost. I can 100% believe that people are buying these.
I wouldn't right now, but in the future after sine success stories or some time has gone by, I would look at them again.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy one of their dosing pumps today if I had the extra hundo laying around. I was an "early Adopter' of the Wp40. I got mine From Fish street in April 2013. They had the single controller and came with a variable power supply. I was so impressed with them. To this day, my WP40's have done continual service without a single issue. Heck, I havent given them a vinegar bath either. they just work. I upgraded to the Dual controller when it came out and also purchased a DC6000. These two devices have been in continuous service since January 2014. no issues. Only 2 days ago did i take the dual controller out of service and replace it with an APC and DCI for my RKE. I did this because I wanted a little more finite control of the speeds, night mode and pulse timing.

Now, Could i have done this with ecotech? probably, but so far, im in for less money and more equipment (RKE stuff aside).

So, yes, Ill try that dosing pump. Ill test it well before hooking it up. yes ill try their skimmer. yes ill recommend their products to my reefing buddies.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam.

APC --> Advanced Pump Controller
DCI --> DC (as in direct Current) Interface
RKE --> Reef keeper Elite

Reefkeeper Elite is a Controller. it used the APC to interface with Tunze pumps, but the DCI just released allowing it to interface with the Jebao Wavemaker pumps.

No such thing as a stupid question.

OP
OP
Adam Baggett

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have an Apex. Thank you for the info. Where did you get the APC and DCI from? I have need reading about Jeabo \ Apex hacks. But the way people have done it there is no variable speed. It would be cool to have it all working.

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think those $400 to $500 pumps are being hand made in the US with better made products? Same stuff made by the same Chinese manufactures. Box states assembled in USA not made in USA. How do you think they copied the product? It may be because they were contracted to mass produce the product. And really how much R and D goes into making a magnetic driven pump? R&D was done many years ago. As far as cheap parts they all use cheap parts. Plastic is plastic. Magnets are magnets. solder is solder copper is copper. There are some differences in firmware but that does not justify the massive cost increase. So with that being said I would much rather my $80 pump fail as opposed to a $500 pump. I am not naming brands because apparently they are sponsors my last post on this topic was deleted. My point is that you dont need to buy into the HYPE. There are other options out there. Yeah if your a millionaire and can drop a grand on 2 power heads go for it. I would rather put that grand into live stock. I will have $over $800 worth of coral to your 2 overpriced power heads. I am in this hobby for the Corals and having a beautiful tank not to keep up with the jones on equipment.

+++
In it for the CORALS + fish

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people buy Mercedes and some buy Kia.
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a manufacturer putting a product out that is an affordable option to a higher end product. I think Ecotech should have a less expensive competitor to keep their markups in check.
If you prefer Mercedes then buy one but why slam the guy that either doesn't have the money to or prefers using that money for something else?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's put it like this.

Ecotech vortech: Lexus, Imani suits, caviar dining

Jebao: honda, walmart suits, mcdonalds

They do the same thing, minus the fancy bells and whistles. Services are always better with price. In the end the job gets done

Personally I'd put Tunze above Ecotech on that list. Personal experience having owned both. My MP20 is now a refrigerator magnet in the garage.

And the job does get done if you're referring to water movement, but the current leak issue with Jebaos powerheads is an issue. If your doser were to fail, I can't see the extra hundred or two hundred in savings being worth a crashed tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back