Jeff's 150 Build - The Salt Box

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a build in progress for quite a while now, I thought I would quit lurking and start a tank thread.
I have almost no practical experience. I read, and have for years. I am hoping for, and welcome any and all advice and direction from the community here. This is my first build. I've made a lot of mistakes already, erroneous assumptions and so on, but press on. Please, feel free to comment. Be gentle.
My goal was a larger than normal refugium, but, since designing and procuring my sump I've learned that what I thought was "large" is not really so large by comparison to most DT/Fuge ratios I see. I's all subjective I guess. Different items were procured at different times throughout overall conception, and, some things were procured with little to no research. Unfortunate, but par I think.
I love the minimalist rimless look, with no hood. I like the minimalist look with respect to live rock as well. I hope to keep the whole tank framed proportionately, adhering to the rule-of-thirds as if it were a photo. I'd like two or three SPS show pieces in the end. I personally think that too often there's a start with no end in mind when it comes to marine tanks. I'm planning on a simple contemporary looking composite facade for the stand. Stained wood just seems so overdone, no offence.
Regarding size, I've always liked the analogy formed by the question; which is dirtier, puking in a one gallon bucket of water, or puking in a 20 gallon bucket of water? The price curve is steeper with increased size, but it's not linear. I'd rather have stability as a result of total volume and effective systems rather than stability via new water. Actually, I'll take both.
Here are the basic specs:
  • Total system volume 210 gallon.
  • Main circulation pump - Iwaki MD70 RLT, rated 1500gph.
  • Display tank - 150g Rimless, by Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums, 3/4" glass, 62" x 28" x 24" tall, center/back overflow; StarFire x3, black silicone.
  • Single 1-1/2" durso style drain, two 1"returns, each with LocLine, valve and 3" flared nozzle.
  • Sump/Refugium – by Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums, ½†glass, 56â€x18â€x24†tall, volume is ±60g w/plenty of overflow capacity. Center refugium area is ±25g flow-through design. Planning a 5†sand bed w/ macro.
  • Single Vortech MP40W ES, intent on buying an additional MP40, if not MP60.
  • Refugium light – WavePoint 24â€, 96 watt, two white & two actinic HO bulbs.
  • Protein skimmer – Aqua-C EV240 in sump, w/ Iwaki MD55 RLT.
  • Main DT lighting - single Orphek Nilus LED fixture (planning to supplement with two Kessil A360W’s).
  • All 1-1/2†sch 80 plumbing, Cepex ball valves (95% welded, no Teflon tape on threads, non-hardening thread sealant only)
  • PinPoint Temp controller and single 300w Finnex titanium heater (may need another)
  • No cooling or chiller as yet.
  • Korrallin c1502 calcium reactor package w/ PinPoint pH controller.
  • Red Sea test kits
  • Red Sea Pro Coral salt mix
  • SpectraPure MaxCap 90 RO/DI
  • Considering a clear mesh top (I hate the idea of that on a rimless, but I like the idea of a wrasse one day.)
In terms of livestock, I do have a stocking plan. It’s the subject of another thread I think, but suffice to say I like small fishes rather than large.
I like miscellaneous LPS & SPS, and want to focus on bright pastel specimens. Again, another thread perhaps.
I’m still debating dry or live rock. I like the look of Pukani, but also like the reef saver stackability. Not sure if I’m patient enough for dry rock after so long a wait and prolonged build.
Anyway, I'll post some initial images in somewhat chronological order....

photo (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edgework...
edgework 2.jpg
Moving DT from garage into house.
Tank_moving.jpg
Close to it's final location. Need a stand.
Tank_restingplace.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up the stand.
Stand_finished.jpg
Bare metal, prepped...
bare metal.jpg
Primer going on...
primer1.jpg

Stand_finished.jpg

bare metal.jpg

primer1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painted. Rust-oleum Hammered Brown
stand_painted.jpg
With plywood top and fiberboard.
Stand_nohole.jpg
stand_ply-n-fiber.jpg
Hole for drain and return
Stand_hole.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pat is an artist...
Overflow 3.jpg
Resting in it's new home. Need to raise it up on some egg crate...
Delivered2.jpg

Overflow 3.jpg

Delivered2.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build so far!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to call in some help from friends and neighbors this weekend, and move everything into my living room. Coated the interior plywood surfaces of my stand. Used some $2.00 mis-tint on the on underside of the top. White for the bottom. Slow but sure. Wet by Halloween I hope.
IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_8595.jpg
IMG_8592.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8595.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, thanks to some strong and unsuspecting neighbors, the sump, stand and display tank are in place. So long in coming together. Plumbing commences! I've planned a black laminate type façade, strong magnets to keep the sections in place.
IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

gregr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking spectacular- love that stand. I've got a 150g I recently started back up so your thread caught my eye.
I'm guessing you already have it planned but just left it out of the description-- an ATO system. I've never actually measured it but I think my tank loses about 1.5g a day to evaporation. I used to use a simple float valve with the RO/DI water running directly to it- worked fine for more than 5 years but on my recent redo I added a Hydor ATO and it's very nice. Only other thing I'd recommend is getting a colorimeter (Hanna) for phosphates as regular titration test kits seem to be less than adequate.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie gregr. I've only recently learned what a 150 can lose in a day - 1 to 2 gallons a day according to threads here. I do have a SpectraPure MaxCap 90, and have always planned a water station - a couple 40g containers, transfer/circulation pump, heater, etc., and a manual process. But, now that I'm hearing about actual loss rates, I think I may just accessorize the system to top off directly, no reservoir. Funny, how focus and the time & energy expenditure shift through the build process - you get one thing behind you and move on to the next. I've been ready to sell is all at points. I'm not sure if my unwillingness to compromise (my wife calls it something else) is a good thing, or tragic flaw - all this tank and no experience. An ATO is on the agenda now. Thanks for the compliment, interest and suggestions!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the suction line for the skimmer pump. The plastic hose clamp doesn't fit. I bought 1' clamps, and it is a 1' hose. Do people use stainless hose clamps? Should I buy 1-1/4" plastic clamps. Does it even need a clamp(s)? It was a BEAR to slip on and fully seat. I cannot imagine it ever leaking...
IMG_8717.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back