Judge my DIY 120 gallon stand!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stand design is waaaaay over-built. With a four foot tank, all 2x4's could have been used (without center support) and you would have been just fine. I would remove the metal brackets you've installed...not sure what they are doing. However, with saltwater and time, they'll just rust.

Skinning this stand is important to keep it from racking....and the 3/4 ply does this with overkill....so you're fine.

Again, no center brace is required...ever if it were 2x4's.
Sorry to bring up the past.. but can you give me some sort of advice on building a 120 gallon stand? It will house my 65 gallon tank, 40 gallon sump and then at some point will probably be upgraded to a 120.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you are asking. Post #9 shows the dimensional lumber design for a stand. If it's a four foot tank or less, all boards can be 2 x 4's. If the tank is greater than four foot, the top boards (red and yellow) should be 2 x 6's. Here is the frame for my five foot tank:

OurStand.jpg

I would suggest topping this stand with 3/4 plywood. In addition, I'd "skin" the sides in whatever type of finish you're looking for. For me, it was (I think) 1/2 inch plywood.

Here it is skinned:

OurStandSkinned.jpg

And here it is finished with the canopy and side equipment cabinet:

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I'm not sure what you are asking. Post #9 shows the dimensional lumber design for a stand. If it's a four foot tank or less, all boards can be 2 x 4's. If the tank is greater than four foot, the top boards (red and yellow) should be 2 x 6's. Here is the frame for my five foot tank:

OurStand.jpg

I would suggest topping this stand with 3/4 plywood. In addition, I'd "skin" the sides in whatever type of finish you're looking for. For me, it was (I think) 1/2 inch plywood.

Here it is skinned:

OurStandSkinned.jpg

And here it is finished with the canopy and side equipment cabinet:

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

Wow.. this is really really nice. I never would have thought to do a double cabinet like that, along with one on the side. Honestly this looks really similar to my room (even the color which is strange) except mine would have to be the other way around, sort of with the stand thats on the left, on the right, cause that is the corner of my room. Do you have a sump underneath? If so what size? Im sorry to bother you with such an old post.. I just typed one up and decided to search as well. I am trying to make one for a 120 gallon tank with a 40b sump and this might be what I could follow.. Is there Some sort of sketch you followed? Or just the diagram on post 9? It is pretty helpful, just unable to figure out exact dimensions I will need exactly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back