Just a word of warning!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not. 76-79 is the accepted standard for reef tanks. Absolutely zero reason to run a reef at 80 or higher.

And to think this is the coolest I've ever run a tank:
image.jpg

So much for standards, eh?

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's cool. I might not see the 70's until Oct...

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn't have a AC now days.
77 morning and 79.5 late afternoon.
Don't have a heater on my tank as during the winter my NEST will heat the rooms up.
Oh did I tell you we have only two seasons here in South TX................. spring and summer :p
what is a NEST?:confused:

Tehreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 79-80. Had best growth and colors when I used to run 81-82

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to think this is the coolest I've ever run a tank:
image.jpg

So much for standards, eh?
What does that mean or prove? Nothing. You have your temp on your controller set and it shows 79.5 so it swings with a 1 degree variance if you have it set correctly with a chiller and heater meaning your max temp then is also 80.5? Fine, great. What's your point?
Please provide me with some peer reviewed literature on how it's beneficial to keep corals above 80 degrees. Or even provide me an article in which a known and respected expert (Fenner, Borneman, Sprung, et al) in the hobby recommend running a tank above 80? I don't think you'll find any. What you will find is that it is a known fact that corals will stress and begin to bleach at 86 degrees.
http://www.marinebiology.org/coralbleaching.htm
So why would you ever want to keep your aquarium at a temp close to the max tolerance? I'm kind of getting tired of the ignorance and misinformation that's being parroted and promoted on this forum. I think it's time for me to bow out for the time being...

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that mean or prove? Nothing. You have your temp on your controller set and it shows 79.5 so it swings with a 1 degree variance if you have it set correctly with a chiller and heater meaning your max temp then is also 80.5? Fine, great. What's your point?
Please provide me with some peer reviewed literature on how it's beneficial to keep corals above 80 degrees. Or even provide me an article in which a known and respected expert (Fenner, Borneman, Sprung, et al) in the hobby recommend running a tank above 80? I don't think you'll find any. What you will find is that it is a known fact that corals will stress and begin to bleach at 86 degrees.
http://www.marinebiology.org/coralbleaching.htm
So why would you ever want to keep your aquarium at a temp close to the max tolerance? I'm kind of getting tired of the ignorance and misinformation that's being parroted and promoted on this forum. I think it's time for me to bow out for the time being...

"The most rapid growth of most corals is generally around 27°C to 29°C (80.6°F to 84.2°F) (Barnes et al., 1995; Clausen and Roth, 1975; Weber and White 1976; Coles and Jokiel, 1977, 1978; Highsmith, 1979a, b; Highsmith, et al., 1983)."

http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater on 76 but my thermometer is reading 80!!!!! Help!!!!
I keep turning the temp down a little but it is not working. It is a 29 with a 20 gallon sump. I do have an oversized skimmer. What should I put the heater on?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of getting tired of the ignorance and misinformation that's being parroted and promoted on this forum. I think it's time for me to bow out for the time being...
This is a passionate hobby but please be careful with your choice of words.
There is NO, i repeat NO golden temp that a reef aquarium should be set at.
Some have great success at 77, others at 82. So what? That's no reason to call anyone on this forum ignorant. We play nice here.

Acameron2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you need another.
I want to sell mine and get the Ecobee instead.
My house really needs the remote room temp monitoring.

I LOVE my ecobee. I use the phone app to change the temp from bed if I wake up cold, and I have also turned on the a/c remotely for my dogs when I am out of the house. :D

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep turning the temp down a little but it is not working. It is a 29 with a 20 gallon sump. I do have an oversized skimmer. What should I put the heater on?

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you're supposed to post a warning sign when water temp is over 120deg,.. Oh wait, wrong forum, that's Dept of Social Services. LOL!

Anyways, mine stays consistently between 78.8 - 79.2. - I've read somewhere between 78-82 is fine?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It might be the lights, first things first your either gunna need to hookup a fan, or toss a bag of ice in your sump(kinda like what i have done). Then think of a plan of how you can keep your temp at bay in the future

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First off, I'll say that I ran my tank at 80 for years without any problems, so I wouldn't panic.

Having said that, what type of heater do you have? You may be able to calibrate it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back