Just a word of warning!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will sometimes go 81-82, but it's usually around 78-79. I've never seen it impact anything. I'm out in the desert, so we have to run AC during the summer or I'd come home to a 110 degree home.
I had a travel assignment in Joshua Tree for 15 months. One day in June, me and my sis drove through the park down to Palm Springs and watched the temp climb up to 127! It was so hot, on a Saturday, we got up front parking at Ruben and Ozzy's Oyster bar. I miss that place... but not for the high temps!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater on 76 but my thermometer is reading 80!!!!! Help!!!!
I keep turning the temp down a little but it is not working. It is a 29 with a 20 gallon sump. I do have an oversized skimmer. What should I put the heater on?

Unplug your heater and wait an hour or two. I've also just reached into the water and touched the heater to see if it was hot.

Your heater MAY be stuck on. Your tank MAY be heating up due to higher ambient room temperatures. Remember that ALL of your equipment adds to your tank temperature. This is helpful during the winter, but can become a burden during the summer.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplug your heater and wait an hour or two. I've also just reached into the water and touched the heater to see if it was hot.

Your heater MAY be stuck on. Your tank MAY be heating up due to higher ambient room temperatures. Remember that ALL of your equipment adds to your tank temperature. This is helpful during the winter, but can become a burden during the summer.
I have a thermometer in my room reading 81 so room temperature is probably it. I have a fan on my tank to keep the temps from raising an more :)

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol at people who call people ignorant and then say "I'm bowing out"

Heres some proof corals live in reefs in the ocean up to 90 degrees.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol at people who call people ignorant and then say "I'm bowing out"

Heres some proof corals live in reefs in the ocean up to 90 degrees.
I think many corals are bleaching out at high temp...is it 30% of the Great Barrier Reef...no ignorance, no bowing out...but facts are good...:D

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many corals are bleaching out at high temp...is it 30% of the Great Barrier Reef...no ignorance, no bowing out...but facts are good...:D
Yea well not all of them and that's a fact. Also heat isn't the only issue causing bleaching in the great barrier reefs, plus that's upwards of 90 we are discussing 80-83 here so yea the FACT is ppl are not ignorant for running a tank at those temps

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea well not all of them and that's a fact. Also heat isn't the only issue causing bleaching in the great barrier reefs, plus that's upwards of 90 we are discussing 80-83 here so yea the FACT is ppl are not ignorant for running a tank at those temps
OK, but you said 90 degrees and scientific sources say that that is the major factor at the GBR...80 to 83...maybe corals can get used to...:rolleyes:

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but you said 90 degrees and scientific sources say that that is the major factor at the GBR...80 to 83...maybe corals can get used to...:rolleyes:
I said 90 because there is in fact corals thriving right now in 90 degree water. There may also be some bleaching

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals will just as likely get used to 80-84 as they would get used to 76-80. The only problem you might have running 80-84 is the increased demands on your dosing system....

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this goes to prove, no two tanks are alike. Even if they are the complete same system. As @Sabellafella said, even his tanks differ from each other as do mine.

There is no right or wrong, just what works for your tank.

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn't have a AC now days.
77 morning and 79.5 late afternoon.
Don't have a heater on my tank as during the winter my NEST will heat the rooms up.
Oh did I tell you we have only two seasons here in South TX................. spring and summer :p

And Spring only lasts two days.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank at 80f when its hot it gets to 83f. I dont let it get higher than that though. My corals seen to love it at that temp.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run this in my sump
31f7a70b6d16a353874eeb21e681983d.jpg

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm idk why i do this sometimes...

76-83 is a good range
83-86 stress will be incurred and growth plateaued
86+ (unless you have clade A in your tank, is really stressing symbiodinium)

me personally...
my heater will shut off at 80
my chiller will turn on at 83

some quick references, although im too lazy to find the others...

Abstract
Branching hermatypic corals, Acropora cervicornis (Lamarck), were transplanted into two areas of the Florida reef tract where they do not normally grow. The growth-rate of these corals and a control group living on a thriving reef was measured twelve times between December 1960 and February 1962. Average growth-rate of the transplanted corals was less than one-half that of the control group, which grew 10 cm. per year. Growth-rates, however, showed considerable variation. During a 2-month period one transplanted group grew as fast as the control group but, after 10 months of growth, the same corals died after the water temperature dropped to 13.3°C. Seasonal fluctuations in growth at all stations could be correlated in a general way to temperature fluctuations that were measured by three permanently placed underwater maximum-minimum recording thermometers. Growth was greatest when temperatures ranged between 28 and 30°C. The results suggest that the method may be used as a standard ecological tool for determining growth tolerances of other reef-building organisms.

dont get too far ahead though...

image.png

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1301658?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

http://m.pnas.org/content/89/21/10302.short

there is way more research on the subject than just these 2. i suggest doing your own.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this article. It is not only heat that is causing the death of these corals but it would be a very big factor.Low flow was another possible cause in these cases from articles i have read.Also see the article lowering of ph in the water caould also be causing issues. I run my tank between 78 to 80 on STC but as i live in Norway i dont really have to worry about overheating.My friend has a big SPS display tank and runs it at 83 and it seems to be fine and growing like crazy. As said no 1 tank is the same and different things will work for different people.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160321-coral-bleaching-great-barrier-reef-climate-change/

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back