Just a word of warning!

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this article. It is not only heat that is causing the death of these corals but it would be a very big factor.Low flow was another possible cause in these cases from articles i have read.Also see the article lowering of ph in the water caould also be causing issues. I run my tank between 78 to 80 on STC but as i live in Norway i dont really have to worry about overheating.My friend has a big SPS display tank and runs it at 83 and it seems to be fine and growing like crazy. As said no 1 tank is the same and different things will work for different people.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160321-coral-bleaching-great-barrier-reef-climate-change/

not to get in to a global warming debate, but ill trust the papers over a "good" story without any numbers or facts to back it up.

every year its the same info i get from these places. 50-100% loss of the barrier reef.
this has been going on since the 90s....
imo the barrier reef should've been one big white skeleton a decade ago if we went by sensationalism.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to get in to a global warming debate, but ill trust the papers over a "good" story without any numbers or facts to back it up.

every year its the same info i get from these places. 50-100% loss of the barrier reef.
this has been going on since the 90s....
imo the barrier reef should've been one big white skeleton a decade ago if we went by sensationalism.
Agree with you on that.I would like to see some further reaserch though as i know the temp in the water has a huge factor but i dont think it is the only factor in what is happening. What about all the people who visit it and the sunscreen they wear for example.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have more to do with the pollution and the lower PH that is happening. My PH is always 8.2 to 8.5. Maybe thats why my tanks have thrived when my water temperatures are 82-85 in the summer.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have more to do with the pollution and the lower PH that is happening. My PH is always 8.2 to 8.5. Maybe thats why my tanks have thrived when my water temperatures are 82-85 in the summer.

i cant find that graph but there was a plateau from 82-84 that went down slightly. 85-86 started trending more downward, and then 87+ just nose dived in growth.

wish i could find it. it was more relevant with acropora species.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i denfinately think pollution and ph have somethingto do with it. There are some good write ups on the net with different theories. Hopefully i am never here to see the day that will all be gone and please god it never does happen.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course i am a bit bias about nitrate dosing... but some fun fact about nitrate uptake of acropora tenuis based on different temps...

http://www.nature.com/ismej/journal/v7/n6/abs/ismej201312a.html

this will probably go in my sps paling thread as a citation
Here's an interesting article...
June 14, 2016
Can 'super coral' save the Great Barrier Reef?
- See more at: http://www.kleanindustries.com/s/en...news.asp?ReportID=752200#sthash.hXVwQrCv.dpuf
http://www.kleanindustries.com/s/environmental_market_industry_news.asp?ReportID=752200

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
montgomery.jpg

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0