Just LED lights only ???

fish head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six hundred gallon display tank
Eight foot long by four foot wide and thirty inches tall-
I currently have eight new hydra 52-HD lights in the middle and four six bulb T-5 fixtures with LED T-5 bulbs on the sides but per the new apex just connected yesterday it uses 820 watts !! My electric bill is over six hundred in the winter !! Ooch
Just want anybody's advise I was going to just run the Hydra 52'S only four rows of two lights math wise should be fine - yes I have Stoney's only and fish no softies
Any input would be hopeful
Thank you
IMG_9902.JPG
Image1486311685.640516.jpg

Will2287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty steep bill I would just run the LEDs Cut back on costs in the winter you know.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely lose the T5's, but you must be mindful not to drop intensity very fast.

I'm also a little worried about your coverage. 8 Hydras sounds like a lot cuz of the price, but compared to [8 hydras + 4 giant T5 fixtures], I'm not sure you're corals OR you will be happy with the amount of shadows you'll end up with. I'm pretty sure I'd want a third row of something....more Hydras or otherwise.

However you choose to add (or not).....definitely use a light meter to judge changes you've made. A lux meter is 100% better than guessing and only costs $15 or less. If you can buy or borrow a PAR meter, that will give you somewhat better info, but it's not a necessary expense for this. Just don't guess – use some kind of meter. :)

I'd start by taking one T5 bulb out per week, or every other week. That should be an acceptable amount of maximum drop.

Amp the Hydra's up as little as possible from current settings, but do try to keep overall light levels around the same, or just at a very slow drop.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of a 10' 570 Gal using 7 Sirius XTCs. Total draw is less than 10 Amps at high noon. Before with MH and VHO total Draw was around 25 Amps

Overall the intensity is greater on the sandbed and the natural sunrise/sunset and moonphase simulated the natural reef perfectly

Bill

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back