Just starting a salt water tank and i have questions!!!

Courtney_Marie820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! So I'm just starting up my tank, and I want to know anything and everything that there is to know about saltwater tanks.
It's a 20g, and its going to be fish and LR only.
What are the best fish to get?
What mix well together?
Things like that!​

I can't wait to hear back from you all!​

Last edited:

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you going too be getting? Are you doing a fish only tank or a fish and coral/reef tank?

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to do some nice peacful fish that are reef safe, so eventually if you add corals or whatever. you could do firefish. purple or red, if you can find two together at a store you could add them together and they swim around together. just make sure they are paired at the store or purchased as a pair. pretty fish too.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 gallon is only gonna be able to house a few fish. I think a pair of firefish and a clown would make a nice selection of fish to enjoy.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one to normally say this but you definately will be limited on the number of fish in your tank. Maybe 4 fish at the most I am thinking. on a side note a yellow clown goby would be pretty cool in that size tank!

Eric

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a mix of fish that will inhabit different areas of the tank:

Rainford Goby is a very colorful fish that will constantly roam the tank sticking near the surface of rocks and sand bed. You will need an established sand bed so give your tank some time before adding these:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Court Jester Goby
p-71458-court-jester-goby.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny is a vary curious fish that will help keep your aquarium walls and rocks clean of minor algae. If you get a healthy specimen it will learn to feed off fish food pretty easily and is always out roaming the tank.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tail Spot Blenny
p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg

Orange lined cardinalfish is similar to other cardinals in that it mainly hovers in the water column and waits for new food to be thrown into the tank. With this species you can a handful of them to get more flash out of their colors.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+1431&pcatid=1431
p-77867-orange-lined-cardi.jpg

A trio of sexy shrimp or 1 or 2 bumble bee shrimp would add good interest if you are looking for some inverts that stay small and will roam around the tank:
Sexy Shrimp
Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sexy Anemone Shrimp
p-90056-shrimp.jpg

or

Bumble Bee Shrimp
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Bumble Bee Shrimp
p-80360-shrimp.jpg

Whatcha think?

OP
OP
C

Courtney_Marie820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a mix of fish that will inhabit different areas of the tank:

Rainford Goby is a very colorful fish that will constantly roam the tank sticking near the surface of rocks and sand bed. You will need an established sand bed so give your tank some time before adding these:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Court Jester Goby
p-71458-court-jester-goby.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny is a vary curious fish that will help keep your aquarium walls and rocks clean of minor algae. If you get a healthy specimen it will learn to feed off fish food pretty easily and is always out roaming the tank.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tail Spot Blenny
p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg

Orange lined cardinalfish is similar to other cardinals in that it mainly hovers in the water column and waits for new food to be thrown into the tank. With this species you can a handful of them to get more flash out of their colors.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+1431&pcatid=1431
p-77867-orange-lined-cardi.jpg

A trio of sexy shrimp or 1 or 2 bumble bee shrimp would add good interest if you are looking for some inverts that stay small and will roam around the tank:
Sexy Shrimp
Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sexy Anemone Shrimp
p-90056-shrimp.jpg

or

Bumble Bee Shrimp
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Bumble Bee Shrimp
p-80360-shrimp.jpg

Whatcha think?

I really like them all, I love the blenny. They are all really really good fish, do you think they would mix well together though?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like them all, I love the blenny. They are all really really good fish, do you think they would mix well together though?

That's why I suggest them ;)

The blenny is very docile and couldn't care less about other fish. While the rainford is too busy scavenging for food to worry about the other fish, and the cardinals are way to concerned about each other to even notice the other fish in your tank.

In terms of the shrimp, I've had sexy shrimp before and they will be fine in a small group or as just a pair.

OP
OP
C

Courtney_Marie820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I suggest them ;)

The blenny is very docile and couldn't care less about other fish. While the rainford is too busy scavenging for food to worry about the other fish, and the cardinals are way to concerned about each other to even notice the other fish in your tank.

In terms of the shrimp, I've had sexy shrimp before and they will be fine in a small group or as just a pair.

Awesome, I will post pictures whenever I start to get the fish for it forsure. Thank you so much

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tailspot Blenny is a cool fish! I have one in my 29G nano with a pair of clowns and a purple firefish!

Back