Kalk Question

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used kalk and thought I might give it a try. Here's the problem:

I don't trust my current top off :eek:. I have the tunze nano with just a float switch and no controller for pH. Yes I could get a new top off and controller, but for that I'd rather just use 2 part because I already have dosers.

So... how much of a hassle is it to set up a gravity drip or can it be on a doser? How much saturated solution would be needed (90 gal, mixed reef)? To me it sounds safer with more control. I would think that top off evaporation isn't totally consistent (I never got that with kalk).

Thanks for the help!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question is, like dosing any cal/alk supplement, how much cal and alk is your tank actually using.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now not very much. Per week around 12 ppm Ca and .25 dKH. The tank is lightly stocked and only a few months old.
So you'd use the calculators to determine the dose of the product used. Either saturated calk or Two Part. and some have different strengths..

AS the tank matures and you get more stony corals of course youll use more.

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into kalk I was scared I was going to kill my tank. Hres what I did... You need to test ph,KH, and calcium for a 3-7 days, preferably at the same time in the morning. Get your results. After I had my values I made my kalk jug. I believe it's 2 teaspoon or tablespoons to make a gallon of true kalk water. I used half of that. Day 1 I went into tank room and dripped from 7 am-9am. It was about a 1/4 gallon. The next 4 days I continued to drip, and my numbers are much more stable. Befor playing with kalk you will want to have your calcium levels up around the 400s

IMG_20170223_130818.jpg

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two-part via a Jebao dosing pump, and supplement with kalk, also dosed via dosing pump. I don't like having my kalk dose dependent on evaporation.

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I think I may look into setting up a seperate reservoir for kalk and use a small pump on a timer. It seems like I'd have more control and it would be safer... at least for this setup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back