Kalkwasser – Feeding Your Tank What It Desires

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I wrote this up while bored at work today. I hope it helps some of you that have questions about getting started with kalkwasser. Please feel free to hep improve or ask questions.

Kalkwasser – Introduction
As an experienced reefer, I’ve experimented with a variety of options for maintaining the proper levels of elements in my tank. As my experience with different corals progressed, I soon moved into the world of SPS. After the bold move, I quickly found that water changes could no longer keep up with my tanks demands. I soon found my SPS was growing very slowly, or at times, not growing, so I vowed to make a change. After months of researching solutions, I found one that would work perfectly for me…Kalkwasser.

What is Kalkwasser?
Kalkwasser is simply powdered lime, or calcium hydroxide. When mixed with fresh water, it creates a liquid lime solution, which can be used to increase or maintain calcium levels, pH levels, and Alkalinity levels.

How do I Introduce Kalkwasser into My Tank?
There are many ways to incorporate kalkwasser into your daily dosing regimen. Many people simply add kalkwasser to their fresh water reservoir that is used for top off systems. This is the easiest method, and requires very little time of the hobbyist. Other methods include manual dripping from a container and the use of a professional kalkwasser reactor. There are pros and cons of each method in which I’ll discuss below.

*It should be noted that after mixing kalkwasser with fresh water, it’s generally good practice to let the limewater settle for a few hours, if not overnight. This will allow time for the kalkwasser particles to settle to the bottom, giving you a clear liquid to dose with. This will help reduce the amount of impurities going into the tank. You want the liquid created by the mix of kalkwasser and water going into your tank, not the kalkwasser mix itself.

Adding Kalkwasser To Your Top Off – Many hobbyists who don’t like to dedicate time for dosing will incorporate kalkwasser into their top off system. This allows the lime water to replace the evaporated water in the tank, all while introducing calcium for the benefit of your reef. This, to me, is a quick and easy way to get it done. A downside to this setup is that the potency of the lime may be reduced as you dose. Additionally, the water pump must be elevated a bit above the bottom to reduce the chances of pumping the mix itself into the tank. A few inches above the container bottom should suffice.

Manual Dosing – Manual dosing can be a great solution for cash strapped hobbyists. By obtaining some type of container with a valve, or making such, a hobbyist can dose by simply filling up the container with water, adding kalkwasser, and mix by shaking it up, and then dose from the container. Personally, this is how I started with kalkwasser, making a batch in the morning, and dripping at night.

Using a Professional Kalkwasser Reactor – By far my favorite way to dose kalkwasser is by the use of a reactor. A reactor allows you to add kalkwasser to your tank with almost a set it and forget it mind frame. Using a reactor is perfect for hobbyists who utilize some type of controller for their system. The reactor is a similar approach to adding to your top off, yet a reactor can provide you with a consistent potency of limewater for weeks to months. There are many reactors on the market today, and they generally use one of two ways to mix the kalkwasser, stirrer or pump.

Let’s Get Dosing – After you choose your method of madness, you need to acquire the correct equipment. There are a plethora of top off systems, and many DIY ways that you can achieve a working system. Keep in mind that limewater is meant to be added slowly to your system, as kalkwasser will increase your pH and Alkalinity. If you dose too much at once, you will see a spike in pH and Alk, which can possibly be detrimental to your inhabitants. Another thing to keep in mind is that a gallon of fresh water can only absorb a maximum of 2 tsp of kalk. Anything above this number will simply raise your pH and alkalinity.

• To get started, determine how large of a container you will use, whether it be a Rubbermaid container, a reactor, or whatever you choose.
  • Next, add roughly 2 tsp of kalk per gallon to the empty container. I like to add the kalkwasser first, to allow the water you fill it with to help mix it.
  • Third, fill it up with fresh, preferably RO/DI water.
  • Mix it up. This can be down with a powerhead, by shaking it, stirring it, etc. The water will turn into a milky white color, which is normal.
  • Let it sit. As the limewater settles, the kalkwasser powder will settle on the bottom, leaving nice, clear limewater at the top. This is what you want going into your tank.
  • Set your dosing schedule. Using some type of slow pump, preferably a dosing pump, dose the kalk into your tank/sump into a high circulation area. This isn’t required if you are using a gravity feed system with a float valve for top off.
  • Examine/Measure – As you dose, keep a close eye on your corals and fish. If you see any unfavorable differences, you should stop dosing and start asking questions. Measure your Calcium, Alkalinity, and pH during your dosing regimen. I suggest keeping a log of measurements so you can see how it’s helping your tank. This will also help you determine how much kalkwasser to use in the future.
  • After your calcium/pH/Alk begin to slowly fall, consider adding more kalkwasser powder to your solution. This quick fix will help maintain a steady level of calcium for your tank.

Conclusion – As you can see, there are multiple ways to dose kalkwasser to achieve the same goal, all depending on your budget and needs. Dosing kalkwasser will help elevate your depleting calcium levels, raise and maintain pH and Alk, and help keep your tank stabilized.

Last edited:

Reloadeddevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. Thanks for sharing this. I have a 29g biocube, but its very heavy loaded with corals mostly LPS and some SPS. I know my system is small, but as u mentioned it definitley helps keeping the ca,alk and PH in good standings and that in turn ensures proper growth. I already have JBJ ATO. I looked up KALK reactor 300 and ut can be easily incorporated into my system.

Here is my tank pic.
DSC_0199.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, thanks for the input. I"m sure that clam is loving that calcium from that reactor :)

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info thanks!
I am currently dosing with my ATO. I use a 40B as my holding tank. THe only pain is iwhen the water is depleted and i have to clean the whole tank and get all that sediment out of the tank before i fill it back up. I was using 2 part but didnt seem to get good growth and extension. since i switched to Kalk big difference.
Thank you for taking the time while at work to write this so i can read it while at work ;)

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you do during the summer time, here in texas we use fans to blow across the sumps to cool them down which in turn evaporates more water than usual thus dosing more limewater due to the ato.

do most kalkwasser users do anything different during the summer time as the temp rises?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently doing that now, as I reduced my dosing since I accidentally put too much kalk in. I just run a timer on a second dosing pump($10 Aqualifter) to put in pure RO thats not going through the reactor.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post, I have always been nervous about dosing kalk in my tank, just seems like I would screw it up some how. This will make things easier!

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post, I have always been nervous about dosing kalk in my tank, just seems like I would screw it up some how. This will make things easier!

Glad to hear it. I wanted to post this to help people feel more comfortable about using it. Its very easy, simple, and helps tremendously. Please don't hesitate to post questions on here, as I've be happy to help. I've been running a kalk reactor as my primary source of calcium for 4+ years now.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the information is going over well. I plan to add to it today if the day is slow again.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two pics of my kalk dosing methods. The first is what I used to dose manually. The second is a pic of my currently reactor.

2011-02-09_20-11-08_302.jpg

2011-02-09_20-56-47_19.jpg

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your suppose to use 2tsp per gallon, how much do you put into your reactor? or does the 2tsp rule only for manual users?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I def have more than 2 tsp in my reactor. I just pour some in, and watch for the pH and kH to see what it does. If it drops, I add a bit more until its stable to where it needs to be. I probably use about half a cup or a bit more when I clean it out and redo it.

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you put more kalk in? when you put more in do you have to take apart the reactor and clean it out? or just poor more kalk in?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can simply add more kalk when your leves begin to fall. I take my apart and clean it out every few months, but thats just something I do for all my equipment to keep it in top condition.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice explanation! I currently just use kalk as my auto top off... pre-mix a bunch and then just let it sit until the ATO uses all of it. I like this method because Kalk self filters.. so letting the stuff at the bottom stay there until I clean it out seems better to me.

knyreefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i get the benefits of kaulk but what if im running a calcium reactor?... do i decrease the drops on that at night to compensate for the kaulk being added? or should i not bother?...

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many people run both, and they mainly run kalk to maintain kH and pH, instead of using it to maintain calcium, since that calcium reactor would do that :)

I've never run a calcium reactor so I can't comment on that, as I have no experience with one.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. How does a calcium reactor compare with a kalk reactor?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back