Keithcorals refugium

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 post on a fuge and I still could not build this thing if my life depended on it. I dont know if its the fuge but your doing something right! Your corals are amazing.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't intend to be vague about anything I think it is a crazy simple design maybe that's part of what makes it confusing it seems like it has to be more complicated than it is. The pic of the 10gal with the lines drawn show where the only baffle goes and I gave the exact measurements for the baffle and where it goes. After that all you need is a circulation pump where the one in the pic is that does around 700gph. The last part is getting water in and out of it and that doesn't really matter as long as you have a feed line and a drain on the side with the pump you are good to go :)

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nm I get it. The left side of the tank is the algae area, and the drain and feed are on the side with the pump. The pump pushes the water under the baffle, and let's water return overnight the top.

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread, I actually read the whole thing. My fuge is part of my 55g sump so I don't think I could make this work without building something separate. It has convinced me to put some more money into the fuge lighting though.

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Mr Keith, so this is your secret lol sounds like you have a great setup with the spinning action and light on that chaeto

Last edited:

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I,m tagging along-after seven years of service pulled my fuge offline about 6 months ago- it was neglected and had become a nutrient source and not a sink anymore, straight sump n sock now- miss my bonsai mangroves poking outa the cabinet-but got my ph & alk up and no more phos issues...at this point not very secure with out the fuge!!

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James I had a question, how long do you run the lighting on the refugium? opposite of the display or 24/7?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along to see the eventual build of the new fuge. :) I want to add a remote refugium to my 140 and this is much smaller and simpler than what I was planning. I believe I understand what you have done and can replicate it, but would be nice to see one put together where you could actually see it. I only wish I hadn't already purchased the LED fixture to use on the refugium. :(

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might jump on that 30 watt led myself .
I have to think it runs cooler then my current fuge light does .

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job Keith. Im going to build one for me for sure. Can you pls say the dimensions on your refugium. I read topic 2 times and cant find it. Tnx and good luck with the new refugium.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this friend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420748113576.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420748113576.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 498

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new sump now using a 40 gallon breeder. I'm wondering if I could get the same spinning effect without separating the refugium and the sump? Something like this sketch. I think the concept of having the chaeto spinning is great. Making it spin in a sump might be just a mater of adding a piece of angled glass and a power head. Any thoughts?

Sump Design.jpg

dlbowlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, still don't understand what the baffle is made from or how it is shaped or how it is attached to the glass. any clarification will help

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad I got a little sidetracked and had an alk spike that wiped out a lot of my stuff :( I'll do my best to get some more info on this sometime very soon.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new sump now using a 40 gallon breeder. I'm wondering if I could get the same spinning effect without separating the refugium and the sump? Something like this sketch. I think the concept of having the chaeto spinning is great. Making it spin in a sump might be just a mater of adding a piece of angled glass and a power head. Any thoughts?

Sump Design.jpg

That's an interesting design. Please let us know if you build it and it works. The most important part if you want it to spin is that it doesn't bump the sides while it's spinning I'm not sure if that design will accomplish that but it might

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back