Kessil AP700 Par questions

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my Kessil Ap700 at a peek of 42% for several months. My par is measuring an average of 200 par through the middle and lower sections of the tank. My LPS seem to like this number and are doing well. My SPS is at the upper portion of the tank and the Par is measuring at about 250 par. I need to increase the par for the SPS. Will the LPS be able to handle the increase in Par if I do it slowly? I'm nervous about increasing Par as I have cooked LPS in the past with this powerful light.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my Kessil Ap700 at a peek of 42% for several months. My par is measuring an average of 200 par through the middle and lower sections of the tank. My LPS seem to like this number and are doing well. My SPS is at the upper portion of the tank and the Par is measuring at about 250 par. I need to increase the par for the SPS. Will the LPS be able to handle the increase in Par if I do it slowly? I'm nervous about increasing Par as I have cooked LPS in the past with this powerful light.
I would go super slow.

@bif24701 Has a lot of experience with the light.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From your current light intensity through 50% increases of 5% are tolerable. 50%+ I would only increase Intensity 2-3% weekly. Yes this is very conservative but I have this light and found that it has lots of power and doesn't need a lot of intensity.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a issue with LPS(Euphyllias) going from the bottom of the tank to the top, but I have never measured par.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a issue with LPS(Euphyllias) going from the bottom of the tank to the top, but I have never measured par.

One of the best features to this light is there are no true hot spots. Though you can see much her PAR numbers up in the water column it doesn't even approach what other single point lights produce. Some MH may produce 700+ 6-8" under the light, so while you will still have all the light you would ever need for SPS it isn't so concentrated that it would kill others.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your current light intensity through 50% increases of 5% are tolerable. 50%+ I would only increase Intensity 2-3% weekly. Yes this is very conservative but I have this light and found that it has lots of power and doesn't need a lot of intensity.
Thanks for the info. I'm a little scared, so I think I'll increase 2-3% weekly up to 50% and be even more conservative. Thanks for your help.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen the latest BRS video?

I think this explains why I get such great PAR readings in the corners and sides. Makes a lot of sense.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this explains why I get such great PAR readings in the corners and sides. Makes a lot of sense.
Its also why I like canopy's, and line them with a textured mylar material.
Cool video!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back