Kessil or AI for my tank?

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i'm setting up a fowlr 34 gallon cube, my first tank. Somewhere down the line i'd like to keep corals, I particularly want SPS. My budget is around 350$ absolute max, I'd really rather only spend 200-250$.

So anyways, I'm having trouble deciding on what's best for my tank, do I need full spectrum? Is the kessil a160we adequate to grow sps in my tank? Would the AI be complete overkill for my tank? I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon, though it's possible I may acquire a 55 gallon and eventually turn that into a reef. I've overall heard good things about both but I'd like your guys opinions. Also if there's other lights that suit my budget for my tanks needs, I'd be glad to hear about em.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want SPS in the future, I'd spring for the 360 Kessil. The Hydra 26 will do just fine as well, but the Kessil is more like a halide look (point source), and doesn't give "disco effect" on rocks/sand that the hydra's do. The shimmer from Kessil is second to none.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are not going to do Corals now just get a cheap used T5 Fixture (Fish look better under T5 anyways).

I saw a 2 Bulb T5 HO Fixture for $15 at the last Frag Swap I was at.

LED's (Like any technology) is constantly being upgraded and getting cheaper in price as time goes on.

So if you get LED now you will spend more money and by the time you get Coral your light will be outdated and the latest and greatest will be cheaper than the now Old Light you got originally.

So just wait until you are actually going to get coral before getting an LED light.

P.S. I would go with Kessil over AI but the lights are upgraded every year (The Kessil actually got updated 3 times last year A350, A360, A360 W-E and they dropped in price too).

You will only regret getting LED now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, I think I will wait until I'm getting corals then. As for light I have a current usa orbit marine, which hasn't been used much. I know it could probably support some low light corals but I'm not really interested in soft corals, mushrooms, etc. however I may try to start out with some easy corals just to get a feel for it then trade/return them when my tanks mature enough to house different corals. The a360we looks nice, maybe if I can find it for a good price I'll go for that.. I also do really like the effect that kessil lights give, my LFS has a tank with them and they make a really nice shimmer

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1425707471408.jpg

40% intensity and 35%color in late evening.. If you get Kessil. Or. Any other high end led. I would definitely not do so unless your getting some type. Of controller so. U can utilize the ramping of the leds for sunset/sunrise fades for better light.. Get some t5 s for now and save for the whole system your bulbs u get with a fixture will get you through the first 8 months

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho I would easily choose the Hydra 26 over a kessil 160we . 2 pucks for more even spread vs one . U can easily cut down the red to reduce the disco effect .
I wouldn't want to hang a kessil higher for spread to make the room look like a nasa launch site or waste on light spillage .
If u are going to use dead rock, it's going to be harder to get coraline on the rocks . I have looked at plenty of threads with the corals being nice but jacked up looking rock . I have seen tanks initially set up with other lights and coraline growing fine and then kessil's used with no harm to the algae . The same with AI lights . During an initial algae cycle of a new tank is when led's seen more like a curse more than a blessing .
All in all a t5 system would get solve all the possible problems above within the budget u have .

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho I would easily choose the Hydra 26 over a kessil 160we . 2 pucks for more even spread vs one . U can easily cut down the red to reduce the disco effect .
I wouldn't want to hang a kessil higher for spread to make the room look like a nasa launch site or waste on light spillage .
If u are going to use dead rock, it's going to be harder to get coraline on the rocks . I have looked at plenty of threads with the corals being nice but jacked up looking rock . I have seen tanks initially set up with other lights and coraline growing fine and then kessil's used with no harm to the algae . The same with AI lights . During an initial algae cycle of a new tank is when led's seen more like a curse more than a blessing .
All in all a t5 system would get solve all the possible problems above within the budget u have .

2 A160's would be about the same Price as a Hydra 26

Of Course the longer you wait the cheaper and better both of these light swill be.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 A160's would be about the same Price as a Hydra 26

Of Course the longer you wait the cheaper and better both of these light swill be.

kessil ai

2 x a160we . 478.00 hydra 26 .300.00
spectral controller . 99.00 director 99.00
2 goose necks 70.00 ext mount rail 65.00

total 612.00 total 464.00 cheaper 30.00 if hanging kit was used .

Not aware of a kessil a160 but if they were even 2 x a150 with no controller the price would still be more at 470.00

Again t'5's stay within budget for the win .

OP
OP
N

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-360s on 20" deep tank 4 feet wide. 60% intensity
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425942806.099826.jpg
Wow, that's a beautiful tank!! Seems like most of the tanks I see with kessils look great, as well as with radions and AI. I was wanting to go with t5s originally, but I can't find a good fixture for my 20" cube, so that's out of the picture. I haven't seen an AI fixture in person though, so I'd probably do that first if I decided to go with the hydra. Really leaning towards the kessils now, thanks for the advice guys.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now running hydra 26's over my 120 and I love them. Never had a kessil, but I am really enjoying the hydras.

I would get an AI prime when it comes out soon. Built in wifi with phone controller for $200. Can always add another one if down the road you really get crazy with SPS, but 1 would fit a mixed reef for a long time. IMO there is nothing like this out there with a controller with that spectrum, controllability, upgrade with multiple fixtures and power for that price.

Prime » AquaIllumination®

Chris Dolajeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hydra 52' on my 105 gallon and raduon xr30 pro on my 45 gallon and personally I would go with the ai all day. Plus they are cheaper!!! I did have a fan break on my 52 and called ai and they sent me a new light. Great customer service!

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil on a spec sheet has extremely low par in comparison to other lights. Imo good only for softies.

If you're on a budget I'd personally try to find a better light used from someone. Although I do have a Hydra 26HD I bought new since the light was so new not many people were selling one yet. Going to use it on a 58 gallon with mainly softies after I remove it from my nano. Not sure if I'll need more lighting but I'll find out soon I guess. Basically if the LFS can have two kessils like 4feet away from their Frags there is no way this Hydra can't handle it.

Back