KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone could take a picture of the back of the KHG unit , I need one for Geo's reef and will have to dismount my unit to get a picture and would rather avoid that if at all possible I am hoping that for some they can just turn the unit to get a pic?

Like this ?

相片 2017-2-20 11 11 29.jpg

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unit appears to be really dialed in now results are matching Hanna test within .02 DKH.
Running 500 G SPS system with a Dastaco Extrema 3 calcium reactor at setting 4 and one daily purge

KHG by watsonj0, on Flickr

Last edited:

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick.45cal

Over the last couple days,I've had some chats with the inventor David Cheng and Wang Zheng Yi support@khguardian. That answered some questions we had about this product. Just got back from our big local swap so I can provide some detail in the next couple days or feel free to PM.

PM sent, are you missing a screw on the lower left corner off the dosing pump housing?

I wish I had a 90 Deg BNC adapter, I had not thought of that but just ordered some now.

Last edited:

tazzxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm picking my guardian up today and can't wait to set it up! What do I need to purchase before I should even attempt setting this up? Thanks!

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any word what a TL ERR! is? Looks to be superficial because I'm still getting ALK readings. Coralvue hasn't responded to me.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm picking my guardian up today and can't wait to set it up! What do I need to purchase before I should even attempt setting this up? Thanks!
Definitely spend an hour going back and reading all the previous posts on this thread. These guys have done a bang up job documenting some of the potential pitfalls.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any word what a TL ERR! is? Looks to be superficial because I'm still getting ALK readings. Coralvue hasn't responded to me.

Hopefully he will get back to you soon. I don't know the answer to your question otherwise I would gladly help you. :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You really just need the line for your local area network from your router, and dosing containers, and maybe some miscellaneous odds n ends.

It will come with some acrylic toothpick shaped plugs in the hoses, remove those and get rid of them, they aren't connectors!

Installing it will be kind of a personal operation. Any questions that you come accross you can ask here (or PM me) or create a support ticket at coralvue and they will get back to you (usually fairly quickly). I'll do my best to help you with anything that I am able to. Mine has been working very well so far, it has some idiosyncracies but it's allowed me to tune my dosing so now it's very stable. ;) Everything in my tank is really taking off now that there's some more alkalinity available. I definitely have increased growth!

Recent numbers for perusing ;)
IMG_0170_zpst9c6gpka.jpeg

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely spend an hour going back and reading all the previous posts on this thread. These guys have done a bang up job documenting some of the potential pitfalls.
Personally I chose to retrofit a wifi dongle to the unit, using a tiny wifi router: TP-Link WR802N. I then used a 12vdc to 5vdc adaptor and plugged straight into the 12vdc outlet on the unit (to save using yet another power point). Made for a neat install :)

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did it end up being?
Not sure . Probably air in tube. Ran a degas and it was ok . Now it's set and forget ! Dialed in my alk to 8.5. Apart from the missing magnet it isn't hard to setup . There is a 0.4 difference between it and the Hanna checker but I'll take that. Now watch my SPS grow baby.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided last night that I would change my setpoint to 7.4 dKH from 7.5dKH (which doesn't display on the unit). I'm interested to see the changes in the values it records. The system is still very stable and things are continuing to grow with renewed vigor. Here are the numbers from the setpoint being 7.5 dKH

IMG_0173_zpsmqk8siro.jpeg

We'll see in a few days if there is a change in the pattern. (I haven't changed anything else).

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been traveling all week and the fact that I can take a look at my DKH and make adjustments remotely is too good to be true. I had to leave Sunday, and my Alk was dropping, and I made an adjustment to my Calcium reactor I overshot slightly, and after three days my DKH crept up 0.1 above optimal. I was able to turn off my reactor watch DKH drop for the next 12 hours and reengage the reactor. When I arrive home on Friday, I can make a small adjustment and be back at optimal. The peace of mind this unit gives is amazing!
KHG alk by watsonj0, on Flickr

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock solid dkh of 8.5. Set and forget. No more hanna or salifert bs. $1k is a bargain for the convenience and piece of mind that my SPS won't disintegrate overnight. With my apex and seneye I have all bases covered . N.B. I'm not dosing anything else and I am doing AWC via the DOS.
Success at last !

Back