Killing corraline on acrylic

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270 mostly SPS acrylic reef. Corraline is very hard to remove and grows very fast, and over the years grows faster than I can remove it. One solution is to tear down the tank, carry it outside, and scrub everything down with muriatic acid. This is a lot of work, but the tank is good as new.

I thought I had a better idea, cover one side with opaque acrylic, and without light or flow, the corraline would eventually die. It hasn't yet.

I wonder if I can put anything between the 2 pieces of acrylic (baking soda, kalkwasser, etc) that would speed the process without hurting the tank. Any ideas?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused by your post if the tank is running or not... If it is running, a few urchins will do a JOB on coraline.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins will scratch acrylic. Speaking from experience I dosed H2O2 for two weeks at 6ml a week and low and behold it killed off ALL Coralline from the glass & overflow [emoji2]

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is running, I have a few fish that might eat urchins, but have tried tons of urchins in the past. Seems like shoveling snow with a spoon - urchins make a dent, but it is nothing compared to what grows. And they do scratch acrylic.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is a dose of hydrogen peroxide that will even dent corraline without killing coral or fish. Not an experiment I want to try.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar might help between the 2 pieces of acrylic. You'd have to be careful how much you are adding on a daily basis though. It would likely be a slow process doing small spots each day.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with anything other than the huge longspines? They are real buildozers, and I can't see adding the dozen or so it would take.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind Asterina Starfish, I have quite a few that keep my coralline away. People talk bad about them eating corals but I've had no issues in almost 3 years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back