Know your flow! The FMK is officially out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you make it work or what other equipment do you need to make it do the ATO that u showed in MACNA?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's interesting! I can see a huge benefit when to clean pumps. Say maybe a 10-20% decrease equals service time.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you make it work or what other equipment do you need to make it do the ATO that u showed in MACNA?
The FMK is complete out of the box. The FMM is also available standalone. All sensors are available separate. So, you could roll-your-own solution if you chose to do so. For instance, say you need two 2" flow sensors and have no need for the 1" one - just buy the FMM and two 2" sensors. You then have two free ports on the FMM still. Use those, if you wish, for leak detection probes or other sensors like the optical water level sensor for your saltwater mixing vats.

The ATO solution will be yet another kit in the very near future. It is what you saw in the MACNA video and will be a turnkey ATO solution also using the FMM. Stay tuned for more info on this at a later date. It is very close to release.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Terrance how many plugs will the ATO solution use on the FMM?

And the video say you need the power supply to use the pmup on the FMM if I have a one link can I use the pmup on that 24 volt connection to save on the power supply?

Thanks for the reply I'm just trying to work out the lagistics in my brain

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Terrance how many plugs will the ATO solution use on the FMM?

And the video say you need the power supply to use the pmup on the FMM if I have a one link can I use the pmup on that 24 volt connection to save on the power supply?

Thanks for the reply I'm just trying to work out the lagistics in my brain

Two ports.

Yes, you can use the PMUP there but you will need a different power supply. The one on the FMM is the same as other products like the DOS. The ATK will come with that power supply (and a PMUP) when it releases but you can purchase it separately.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could one of these on a return pump to be able to identify when performance decreases (either due to calcification of the pump or clogging/buildup in the actual plumbing). Nevermind looks like you already bring this up in the video.

Also if my return pump fails I would know. Does it differentiate which WAY the water is flowing? For instance could it alarm if the water flows the oppose way (for example when my return pump fails and water begins to drain into the sump via siphon).

I think there are some great advantages but there are obvious solutions to many of the selling points:

1. Don't use a return pump that can flood your sump or just dial it back with a ball valve.
2. For GFO/Carbon most of these have a ball valve and you visually adjust until it tumbles. You eyeball it and note the flow but it's still all a manual process anyways.

It's a really neat piece of equipment but outside of obvious solutions for things it's more of a fun add-on but I think it does have some huge advantages relative to equipment wear/failure.

What is the risk of leaking/failure of the actual device compared to just having PVC pipe?

Last edited:

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence

No 3/4" love? RedSea Reefers use that size plumbing.

Also how does the optic water level sensor plug in? I was looking at 3 of those sensors, 1 for my sump, 1 for RODI, and one for saltwater container....do I need another FMM or can I plug them into one of the other (many other) modules I have?

Thanks!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was honking the same thing for 3/4 but we could just reduce the one inch pipe to 3/4 to make it work

At least I hope we can

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence

Also how does the optic water level sensor plug in? I was looking at 3 of those sensors, 1 for my sump, 1 for RODI, and one for saltwater container....do I need another FMM or can I plug them into one of the other (many other) modules I have?

Thanks!

I was honking the same thing for 3/4 but we could just reduce the one inch pipe to 3/4 to make it work

At least I hope we can

You could just use a reducer bushing on the 1" sensor. Btw not all red sea reefers use 3/4" lol Im using 1" and know many others that do, my 3/4" GHL flow sensor worked perfectly in my 1" plumbing with reducers :)

Reefer 525XL -2-20-2017
by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence

Thanks!

At least I hope we can

Of course you simply use a 1"->3/4" reducing bushing and all is good.

in2aqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is way better than I thought and opens up the door to so many possibilities. Now the real question isn't do I get the fmm but how many. I think I have about 3 or four uses for these for each tank that I have plus one for rodi and water change.

The dc port is interesting to see getting sprinkled throughout various Neptune devices. It almost begs for a breakout box 2.0 that has just has a bunch of those dc ports or possibly a combination of those ports and the 6 pin ports used by the ddr.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you simply use a 1"->3/4" reducing bushing and all is good.

Does the optical float switch install just like a madison float switch with the same size stem? I have a float tree on my sump and I want to put the optical one in place of my madison.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howe often do the flow sensors need to be cleaned- I have thought about putting flow monitoring on my tank before, but the maintenance needed prevented me from doing so. Basically I'm asking if these are prop type sensors or something better like doppler?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back