Known fish diseases and antidotes.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a fish with the 'black ick'.
Can someone better describe this to me? Cure it just like white ick?
Also if you have had experience with other diseases please post your experience :)
I would like to make this a sticky if we could get some great input!

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to do some homework, Ryan... I haven't had to deal with black ich myself and this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen it come up IME. Hopefully I can find something.

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ich is most commonly seen in yellow tangs (probably because the bright yellow color of the fish makes the black ich easy to see). I have treated this with a fresh water dip with almost 100% success every time. We get lots of yellow tangs at the store that come in with it from the wholesaler. After a few minutes in the fresh water, you can see the black spots on the bottom of the white bucket as they have released from the fish.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to rendos.

You can also treat with hyposalinity and copper, but I always hit them with a FWD prior to anything else to immediately remove some of the infestation (which in turn reduces stress).

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to rendos.

You can also treat with hyposalinity and copper, but I always hit them with a FWD prior to anything else to immediately remove some of the infestation (which in turn reduces stress).

Refresh my memory, FWD is in RO/DI with balance temp and pH for 5 minutes or sooner if fish is showing signs of stress, correct??

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.

I temp. match, and airate the water for at least an hour with an airstone prior to the dip. I don't bother matching pH, afterall, you're trying to "shock" the parasites off of the fish, and you're putting the fish into freshwater. While talking with Jay Hemdal (fish disease/treatment expert) he even mentioned he just uses "pretty closely" temp matched tap water.

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks guys :)

I haven't noticed the black ich lately, been feeding him really well ;)

If I do notice it, the freshwater dip is good to know! I've heard of it before, but never tried it personally.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back