Kole tang dieing

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow eye kole tang had ich about a week ago. Figured it was due to stress from me adding a foxface. The tang got better within a couple of days and no longer showed an symptoms of stress or ich. Fed him yesterday and he ate like a pig.

Woke up this morning and he looked like this:
1481468268287.jpg

I did a freshwater dip on him for about 3 minutes and it seemed to atleast make him a little more comfortable.

OP
OP
Gui Paim

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind guys, guess i was to late. He just passed away.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you lost your fish.

If I had to guess, the Ich didn't clear up, it finished feeding and dropped off to reproduce. This new attack was the massive amounts of new parasites hatching.

Are you going to try and take your tank fallow to clear the Ich out of it?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss that sucks. I would do what Brew suggested and treat the rest of the fish and let the tank go fallow.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sucks to remove all your fish and QT. I had to do it and removed all my rock from my 180 to catch them, what a pain in the butt. But I don't like to lose fish and I want to be sure there isn't something lurking in my system that could spring up at any time and kill my 1,000$ worth of fishes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has all the sound and appearance of velvet to me. I'm guessing the foxface brought it in.

I would treat with copper the remaining fish in that tank and run the tank they were in fallow for 76 days.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has all the sound and appearance of velvet to me. I'm guessing the foxface brought it in.

I would treat with copper the remaining fish in that tank and run the tank they were in fallow for 76 days.
+1

I agree with this now that I'm on my computer and not my phone. This looks much more like Velvet than Ich to me. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... it looks like it could have been velvet. Fallow in the display for 76 days and copper for the rest for 30 days. good luck!

OP
OP
Gui Paim

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid for that. Ill have to go invest in a qt tank. Going to be a pain in the butt to get all of these fish out. Can this just be a 40 gallon bin or does it have to be a glass tank?

OP
OP
Gui Paim

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does the qt have to be up and running for a little while?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid for that. Ill have to go invest in a qt tank. Going to be a pain in the *** to get all of these fish out. Can this just be a 40 gallon bin or does it have to be a glass tank?
If it is food safe or made of PVC it is probably fine to use. Just avoid the soft plastic containers.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does the qt have to be up and running for a little while?

As long as you are prepared to do water changes frequently to avoid ammonia build up, then you should be fine. You'll need a powerfilter for the container (whatever you end up using), heater and PVC elbows for hiding in. A small powerhead or air stone should help out with oxygenating the water as well.

OP
OP
Gui Paim

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

If velvet is a dinoflagellate and can obtain food via photosynthesis, does removing all fish even for 12 weeks really get rid of them? Or do they actually need a host to survive?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the best of my knowledge, Bower's study in 1987 is still the most comprehensive look at the life cycle of velvet as it applies to marine aquariums.

According to Bower (1987) dinospores can usually live for 7-8 days without finding a host and are infective for 6, remaining alive and infective even longer at lower temperatures. She recounts that though most emerge from encystation within 5 days and survive another 7 to 9 days, some dinospores were present in their test tanks (at 75-80 F.) some 37 days later.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

If velvet is a dinoflagellate and can obtain food via photosynthesis, does removing all fish even for 12 weeks really get rid of them? Or do they actually need a host to survive?

6 weeks fallow will eliminate velvet from a tank. Because even though tomonts & dinospores can survive for some time on photosynthesis alone, they cannot survive indefinitely without fish flesh to feed upon.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the process be accelerated by raising the tank's temperature to the maximum that the remaining occupants (i'm assuming inverts, including corals) could handle longterm?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back