OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but the rabbit fish I bought with a tank that a kid heading off to college. The 65 was the biggest I could find at the time.. he is still a little guy at about 4". Then the kole caught my eye and with him being around 2-2.5" I knew the 65 would work for a few months.. nothing aquarium wise is permanent in this house.. I change things daily..

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to try to make one or see if I can buy one and try it..

You don't need a DE filter for ich. Marine Ich so large a simple 5 micron sediment filter will work. I can show you how.
About $30 if you don't already have the pump - around $10 otherwise. Very easy in a QT - a little tricky in a DT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to try to make one or see if I can buy one and try it..

Below are the only two I've found commercially available (for aquariums):

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602SW

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-XL-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602T6

But I don't think either would last long in SW without corroding (they are meant for FW use.) I've thought about trying a pool DE filter, one designed to be used in SW, but it still couldn't contain any inner metal parts for DT use (with corals/inverts).

There's also this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-diatom-filter.212893/

FYI; I'm not endorsing this idea for eradicating external parasites. Not until I've done some testing of my own. Maybe it works as advertised or maybe it's just another disease management tool. :rolleyes:

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try that DIY diatom filter - that guy is an idiot...There is a very much easier way...if you want to try it hit me up...I only take first born children in payment...

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont have the time.. rabbitfish has it now.. so its either move my inverts and ruin the 65 or try to keep them healthy and let it run its course. I know every fish that comes in will be quarantined for a month.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont have the time.. rabbitfish has it now.. so its either move my inverts and ruin the 65 or try to keep them healthy and let it run its course. I know every fish that comes in will be quarantined for a month.

FWIW; treating the 65 with copper won't necessarily ruin it. I suggest you remove all the rock/sand first, but even the rock can be made "reef safe" again by dipping it in muriatic acid. The tank/equipment would just require a thoroughly cleaning using vinegar.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; treating the 65 with copper won't necessarily ruin it. I suggest you remove all the rock/sand first, but even the rock can be made "reef safe" again by dipping it in muriatic acid. The tank/equipment would just require a thoroughly cleaning using vinegar.

I was only going to reuse a few of the rocks.. but I didn't know if the copper would stick in the silicone.. I'm going to pull out the inverts and treat it.. thank you so much I have learned so much..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only going to reuse a few of the rocks.. but I didn't know if the copper would stick in the silicone.. I'm going to pull out the inverts and treat it.. thank you so much I have learned so much..

The copper will stick to the silicone some, but it won't be absorbed by it. So that just means you have to spend some extra time wiping down the seams with a vinegar soaked paper towel. Just go slow and be thorough, and you'll get it all out.

Now, porous rock/sand is another story, as both will readily absorb copper. I wouldn't attempt to reuse the sand, but the rock is made safe again by dipping in muriatic acid as that will remove the outer layer where the copper is stored. A word of caution though... fooling with muriatic acid requires using rubber gloves, eye protection, face mask, etc. as even inhaling the fumes can harm you.

Even with a few rocks being present, you will struggle to maintain a stable Cu level. It can be done, but daily testing is a must.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its done and im not going to reuse any of it. Better safe than sorry.. it will be broke down and cleaned after this and used as a bigger qt

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back