Last minute before storm DIY Battery backup!! need some input quick!!

OP
OP
PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear you got the backup working!! :) what cable did you use?
depending on what battery u used I'm assuming it should be good for at least > 12+ hours! bc if you were able to connect it to the battery backup inlet in the controller it should be running at half speed right? not sure but lmk how much it lasts for you when you find out although I hope it lasts until the power comes back:tongue:
you should be good with that plus circulating your tank every couple hours assuming the temp is in range:) hope everything goes well!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 18 gauge wire from radio shack and soldered it to the inline fuse and the wires from the power plug. It ran off the battery for about 32hrs and the battery still has juice. I actually never installed my vortech until this weekend so I wasn't sure how it worked. The controller senses when it loses a/c current and starts using the d/c current and automatically runs the vortech at it's lowest speed to conserve battery life. It worked out really well for me and I don't think I lost anything.

OP
OP
PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 18 gauge wire from radio shack and soldered it to the inline fuse and the wires from the power plug. It ran off the battery for about 32hrs and the battery still has juice. I actually never installed my vortech until this weekend so I wasn't sure how it worked. The controller senses when it loses a/c current and starts using the d/c current and automatically runs the vortech at it's lowest speed to conserve battery life. It worked out really well for me and I don't think I lost anything.
That is great glad you didn't loose anything.... 32 hrs is pretty good! what AH was the battery u used?
Hopefully I won't ever need it again....but just in case, I gotta have this standing by & ready for next time...hehe

trying to pm you but pm box Is full :)
cleared ;)

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the AH I don't see that listed anywhere on the battery. It says 880 CCA and 135 RC. I don't know how it is in San Juan but in Adjuntas my parents lose power all the time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back