Leaky Aquarium

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home from work and noticed salt creep on the side of my tank. It really bummed me out because this can only mean one thing, the silicon needs to be replaced. I am not too enthusiastic about doing this and time isn't on my side. I have watched a few videos and have a general idea on what to do, however, I am reaching out to you guys for any input you have. Is this pretty common with bowfront tanks? Has anyone done this before or have any advice? Anything is appreciated!

20170116_163725_resized.jpg 20170116_163836_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Blmain

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure you didn't have some water come down the glass. Sometimes I get that when I do WC and a drip some down the glass.
It's on both corners of the tank and it's been nearly a week since my last water change. It could be drip, I will monitor it.

If it is a leak, how long can I go without fixing it?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow be sure it is a leak, before you start. But I will tell you this scares me. Years ago my wife and I were watching TV and had the bottom front seam on a 55 split water hit the ceiling, wow what a mess. Good Luck

OP
OP
Blmain

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow be sure it is a leak, before you start. But I will tell you this scares me. Years ago my wife and I were watching TV and had the bottom front seam on a 55 split water hit the ceiling, wow what a mess. Good Luck
Wow that sounds like a nightmare. Did you have any signs it was coming? Was it an older tank?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sign what so ever I bought it new about 2 years before it happened and we had moved it from Texas to Georgia but it was running for over 8 months before it happened.

OP
OP
Blmain

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sign what so ever I bought it new about 2 years before it happened and we had moved it from Texas to Georgia but it was running for over 8 months before it happened.
Now you have me concerned. I hope this doesn't happen before I can get to it.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have me concerned. I hope this doesn't happen before I can get to it.
Sorry just be careful is the tank level 55 gallon aquariums like I had blow up are tempered glass and they tend to bow some I think maybe mine was not level but I think I was like 26 years old, so I really don't know now

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you ever think it's leaking drain and replace immediately. I've had way too much trouble with leaky old glass. In fact, I never ever buy used glass anymore.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back