LED or MH

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck between a 250w DE w/lumenarc elite reflector or a new LED fixture.I am currently running a 24" ATI Powermodule that just isnt getting the job done for me.My colors just arent holding and I have been hearing a lot about the 24" models dont put out as much par as the others:sad:.As much reading as I did on this fixture before I purchased it I hate that I missed that important piece of information for a sps dominant tank:cry:.So I am going back to MH or am gonna pick up a LED fixture but was wondering on everyones opinions and most importantly experience.I know what a MH has to offer but summer is just around the corner and I am in California and we all know it gets a little hot round here:hell_boy:and I dont want to invest in a chiller so a LED fixture would be perfect so I have been reading up on them but there just isnt enough info or better yet pics of a succesful system being ran on LED's(that I know of).If you have a opinion or suggestion I would like to hear it.

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pondering the same question.
I went the the South Earstern Coral Farmers Market last weekend and had a chance to see a few LED setup in action.
2 caught my eye as possible contenders.
Steel City Coral has a nice blue white mixed unit that has the equvilance of a 250 Mh.
Cherry Corals had a similar unit, but it allowed you to adjust the strength of the blues or whites.

I am down to those 2 and hope to make a decision within the next month or two.

As you, i too am still doing some research.
I don't need to be talked into LED's, the power savings, less heat, less evaporation and no bulb changes makes it add up in my favor by a long shot.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pondering the same question.
I went the the South Earstern Coral Farmers Market last weekend and had a chance to see a few LED setup in action.
2 caught my eye as possible contenders.
Steel City Coral has a nice blue white mixed unit that has the equvilance of a 250 Mh.
Cherry Corals had a similar unit, but it allowed you to adjust the strength of the blues or whites.

I am down to those 2 and hope to make a decision within the next month or two.

As you, i too am still doing some research.
I don't need to be talked into LED's, the power savings, less heat, less evaporation and no bulb changes makes it add up in my favor by a long shot.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
TANKSALOT,TANKSALOT I am looking at the 120w Illuminarium that Robert at NeptuneAquatics is selling and the fixture luke33 is selling my tank is a 24x24x20 cube so I don't need anything too suffisticated and a DIY is definitely outta the question as my handyman skillz are not the best:)

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add that if I do end up going with a LED fixture it will have to have dual cords for dusk/dawn.

I

inactive

View Badges
I already know what you talkin Kray,I am leaning towards the LED's but just need to here more from the others besides you that are running them.:)

I know about all lights man, its not like all I have is LED.. or one tank.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about all lights man, its not like all I have is LED.. or one tank.
I know you have more then 1 tank,I know you have more then 1 type or even 2 types of lighting,and I know that you are a freak of nature.

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30+ years of reef'n- I have used just about everything you can think of to light a tank (and some you probably shouldn't think of...lol)

LED, LED, LED- IMO is the way to go hands down.

But that doesn't mean that LED's are the Only or Right way... Most efficient at this time- yes -

Change is difficult- and when dealing with our reefs, we tend to be cautious (which is Great), but don't let that
hold you back from enjoying the awesomeness of LEDs

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30+ years of reef'n- I have used just about everything you can think of to light a tank (and some you probably shouldn't think of...lol)

LED, LED, LED- IMO is the way to go hands down.

But that doesn't mean that LED's are the Only or Right way... Most efficient at this time- yes -

Change is difficult- and when dealing with our reefs, we tend to be cautious (which is Great), but don't let that
hold you back from enjoying the awesomeness of LEDs
Thanks Aquascaper,I would love to see some pics of your system with the LED's if possible.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bay - get the 120W illuminarium. The price is unbeatable and you cannot go wrong. I have shown pictures repeatedly of my 120 at home... well here's my other system, a 24g aquapod in my office:

IMG_0140.jpg

This tank was 2 years old when I put the 90W LEDs (identical to the illuminarium fixture) on it. Prior to that it ran a 150W MH + 36W T5 actinics. Everything in here was grown from tiny frags (the SPS were 1/2" nubs). It was getting excellent growth under the MH+T5 system, darn near an inch a month on my SPS. I don't do water changes, temp ranged from 76 in the AM up to 88 in the PM on most days, I haven't tested the water in over 1.5 years, no heater, chiller, skimmer, etc. I was very much afraid to change anything on this tank for fear that I would throw this crazy "balance" out of whack. That hasn't been the case at all. The colors of all my SPS have shifted and gotten way better, growth has been maintained, and my softies all over the bottom are no longer reaching for light like they were.

This isn't the nicest tank out there but it has been running LEDs for almost 6 months now. This experience is what convinced me to sell a Tek 8-bulb T5 fixture and put the LEDs on my 120 at home. Honestly if that isn't enough to push you over the edge to go with the LEDs, I don't have any clue what will do it.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't know that you need dual cords. My fixtures have timers built in with them that gives you the ability to control each of the banks, which is beneficial provided that the lights are placed with all one color on a bank. Talk to Robert with Neptune and see if he can get you one with the timer on it. Mine are identical to the one that ReefFanatics sells.

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bay - get the 120W illuminarium. The price is unbeatable and you cannot go wrong. I have shown pictures repeatedly of my 120 at home... well here's my other system, a 24g aquapod in my office:

IMG_0140.jpg

This tank was 2 years old when I put the 90W LEDs (identical to the illuminarium fixture) on it. Prior to that it ran a 150W MH + 36W T5 actinics. Everything in here was grown from tiny frags (the SPS were 1/2" nubs). It was getting excellent growth under the MH+T5 system, darn near an inch a month on my SPS. I don't do water changes, temp ranged from 76 in the AM up to 88 in the PM on most days, I haven't tested the water in over 1.5 years, no heater, chiller, skimmer, etc. I was very much afraid to change anything on this tank for fear that I would throw this crazy "balance" out of whack. That hasn't been the case at all. The colors of all my SPS have shifted and gotten way better, growth has been maintained, and my softies all over the bottom are no longer reaching for light like they were.

This isn't the nicest tank out there but it has been running LEDs for almost 6 months now. This experience is what convinced me to sell a Tek 8-bulb T5 fixture and put the LEDs on my 120 at home. Honestly if that isn't enough to push you over the edge to go with the LEDs, I don't have any clue what will do it.

Are you running 2 of those on your 120?

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0140.jpg

Will the 120w Illuminarium be enough for the dimensions of my tank 24x24x20?Thanks for the pics(again)lol

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks - I have a 90W on that tank pictured here. There are two 120W fixtures on my 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon tank at home.

Bay - The 90W would honestly be enough but why compromise? The 120W will be more than enough. Pull the trigger on it and you will not be disappointed in the least.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back